LoJ on Smartphones

Questions about how this site works or problems you are experiencing can be addressed here.

LoJ on Smartphones

Postby John Kirk » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:37 am

I've done some scripting to adapt display and content for smartphones based on the device agent. Makes things way easier to navigate and log peaks (no more zooming). I haven't done any testing beyond an iphone, which displays as shown below. If you have any issues, please let me know. You can always browse the regular site on your device by choosing the "Full Site" option from the home page.

IMG_0180.PNG

IMG_0181.PNG

IMG_0182.PNG
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: LoJ on Smartphones

Postby doug72901 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Nice! I just upgraded to the new iPhone and the 4G system lets this work very nicely.
doug72901

Postby Steve Knapp » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Great work John. The full site is tough to use on a smart phone as you well know. I was going to ask you soon if you planned any enhancements for mobile devices, or an app. This will help a lot, looks great on android too (Galaxy S4) and what I see is similar to your iphone shots.
Steve Knapp

Postby John Kirk » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Steve Knapp wrote:looks great on android too (Galaxy S4) and what I see is similar to your iphone shots.

Cool. I've heard there are some issues with checkboxes not highlighting and some other minor issues. I'll have to take a peek at your android to see how it looks :disturbed:

I'll be adding a checkbox option for "show my unclimbed only" on the county search menu per an offline suggestion so that there's less to navigate through for users who want to only log new peaks...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:18 am

Hi John,

I just started using this on my Virgin Mobile Awe (Android OS), and it's super easy to log peaks. My friend Stewart's been using it on his iPhone for a while and noticed the recent improvements immediately.

One thing: I logged a peak on my phone yesterday, and it shows up on the app everywhere it's supposed to. However, when I log in on my computer with Chrome, it only shows up in certain places - like in the Ascent Detail - but it does not appear in Member's Peak Updates or on my Profile page. Is there a delay, or is something broken?

Thanks again for the site and the continuous improvements!

Susan
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Postby John Kirk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:23 am

susanjoypaul wrote:Hi John,
One thing: I logged a peak on my phone yesterday, and it shows up on the app everywhere it's supposed to. However, when I log in on my computer with Chrome, it only shows up in certain places - like in the Ascent Detail - but it does not appear in Member's Peak Updates or on my Profile page. Is there a delay, or is something broken?
Susan

I changed the ascent type to a "first repeat of the day" for lack of a better term... it was somehow recognized as a same-day repeat and that's when it wouldn't show up in Member's Peak updates. There aren't any other cases of this since the update. If this kind of thing happens again, let me know what steps produced it, and I can track down the issue. You can always look at the dates for the ascents of a peak to make sure it looks correct, if something isn't showing up somewhere, for example:
http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/dc.php?Id=39

You can get here from the Edit/Remove ascents button on the peak's profile page.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DavidDJohnson » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:49 am

Nice feature. Used it on my Android. Dunno if it is me or not, but I had to log in my peaks one at a time, vs. using a checkbox.

Congrats on Summit County, BTW! Also, did you see my footprints up on 8890 or did what little snow they have was melted by then? Just making sure I summited the right hill.
DavidDJohnson

Postby John Kirk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:53 am

DavidDJohnson wrote:Nice feature. Used it on my Android. Dunno if it is me or not, but I had to log in my peaks one at a time, vs. using a checkbox.

Congrats on Summit County, BTW! Also, did you see my footprints up on 8890 or did what little snow they have was melted by then? Just making sure I summited the right hill.

It's one at a time - no checkboxes.

The snow was completely gone by the time we were up there (around 5pm).
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks John! That fixed it :-)
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Postby jdorje » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:29 pm

One minor issue I've had is that when you go to a peak page in the mobile site, there is no quad map. The best thing is probably not to have a quad map, but do have a text link to the quad page ("all peaks in this quad"). Unfortunately the quad map page itself isn't very mobile-friendly (zooming is counter-intuitive and often misunderstood by the browser), but it still works okay.

Overall the simplicity of the site makes it very mobile-friendly. The main difference on mobile is simply that the screen width is a fraction what you get on a desktop, which can easily be adjusted for by scrolling things vertically. However if I turn my (admittedly huge) phone sideways I don't have much trouble using the main site.

Thanks John!
jdorje

Postby John Kirk » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:37 pm

jdorje wrote:One minor issue I've had is that when you go to a peak page in the mobile site, there is no quad map. The best thing is probably not to have a quad map, but do have a text link to the quad page ("all peaks in this quad"). Unfortunately the quad map page itself isn't very mobile-friendly (zooming is counter-intuitive and often misunderstood by the browser), but it still works okay.

Overall the simplicity of the site makes it very mobile-friendly. The main difference on mobile is simply that the screen width is a fraction what you get on a desktop, which can easily be adjusted for by scrolling things vertically. However if I turn my (admittedly huge) phone sideways I don't have much trouble using the main site.

Thanks John!

There is a link for the map on each peak profile (it's purposefully left off the page by default so the page can load with the least amount of bandwidth/overhead):
_.png

I have a pretty easy time using this on an iPhone, but haven't tried the map link on other devices.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby jdorje » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:03 pm

Yep, it just takes a bit of reading comprehension apparently!

The quad map itself is a bit problematic, but that seems hard to fix. My browser sometimes gets confused on click-drag scrolling and zooming (whether you are zooming/scrolling the map or the entire window), occasionally leading to the entire screen being covered with map which means there is no way to zoom the entire browser out anymore. And, the mouse-hovering mechanic used to inspect peaks simply doesn't work on a touch screen.
jdorje

Postby David Sanger » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:17 pm

John Kirk wrote:
There is a link for the map on each peak profile (it's purposefully left off the page by default so the page can load with the least amount of bandwidth/overhead):
_.png

It would be a big help if the peak "markers" were displayed by default. The "display markers" setting is not available and it is not clear where the peak is if you move the screen at all.

Also can you make the +/- zoom arrows and the map-type selection drop down much much larger. they are almost impossible to use as-is on an iPhone 5.

thanks
David Sanger

Postby John Kirk » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:18 am

davidsanger wrote:It would be a big help if the peak "markers" were displayed by default. The "display markers" setting is not available and it is not clear where the peak is if you move the screen at all.

Also can you make the +/- zoom arrows and the map-type selection drop down much much larger. they are almost impossible to use as-is on an iPhone 5.
thanks

I added markers by default. As for resizing the buttons, It's going to take some time to create custom controls and event handlers to do this because the default google map controls are not customizable/resizable.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to Site FAQ's