More than 5 Ranked in a Day Stats

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Re: More than 5 Ranked in a Day Stats

Postby kirkmallory » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:41 pm

It was a fun thing to try. Records are meant to be broken, right? John, see what kind of behavior this peak battle encourages? :-D

I think I could have done more if I planned a little better (and I didn't have that aversion to TP'ing). This was an idea I've been kicking around for a bit, but only decided a few days before this that I wanted to try it this weekend (thanks to the great weather forecast). I considered starting with the 15 John did last year, but thought I'd pick a fresh set, even if it was in the same general area. Of course, that opens up the door for him to go there next weekend and shatter my new record!

Conditions were very good - patchy snow on north slopes that weren't a problem, and pretty decent & dry roads that often gave access to within 0.3 miles from the summits. Started the first hike at 3:30 AM (Copper Butte) and finished the last (8987) at 11:24 PM. 12 separate starts - hiking time totalled 12 Hours & 26 minutes.

Stats are somewhere around 17+ Miles and 9100+ Feet. The shortest hike was the highest peak - "Crystal Hill" - 23 minutes, which could have been even shorter, but I wanted to gain at least 300 feet. The longest hike was the three-peak combo 9097, 9292, & Carnero BM from a nasty 4x4 road, which was 3 hours & 14 minutes (5+ miles / 1900+ feet).
kirkmallory

Postby TWorth » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:27 pm

Nice summary Kirk - no driveups as well, there weren't any on the previous record day, either.

One locale I've checked out has something like 8-10 potential drive ups/near drive ups within a relatively close area, with a dozen+ other easy peaks nearby. Too much snow when I was there, but 20+ in a day would be possible when dry. Where is it? Gotta do the map study to find out!
TWorth

Postby John Kirk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:54 pm

kirkmallory wrote:It was a fun thing to try. Records are meant to be broken, right? John, see what kind of behavior this peak battle encourages? :-D

With all your repeats above treeline lately, I'm pleasantly surprised to see it was you taking the record away. Congrats. Now you're set to begin repairing the damage from all those rough winter high peak days and bring your peaks per summit day average up above 8 :disturbed:

In the meantime, I've got a bunch of low count days planned until May, so you're safe for a while.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:41 am

It's about time you stepped it up, Mallory - I was getting sick and tired of carrying the load for the Blue Team. When this whole thing started, I was excited to see your name and Sarah's on my team roster, but the way you two have been goofing around all year with those single-digit weekends, I've been tempted to put in a request to Mr. Kirk to have you demoted to the Orange Team (aka Sunwall's Stragglers) and Sarah sent down to the Green Team (Gerry's Kids). But with this - 16 peaks in a day - you have definitely redeemed yourself! Now let's see if Sarah takes a cue... I mean, c'mon, are those winter 14ers really that hard?

...kidding :-)

Congratulations, well done - especially considering you stuck to the "300' Rule" - and let's see how long it takes for somebody to top it!

-Susan (blue team mascot & resident pest)
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Postby MikeRodenak » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:39 am

Nice outing Kirk! Seems like that area is great for these multi-peak days. Seems to have easy access, 16 peaks in 17 miles, now that is what I call efficient!

PS for Susan- Now that ski season is over... you're going down Blue Team! "Sunwall's Stragglers" are about to pick it up! :tongue:
MikeRodenak

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:36 pm

MikeRodenak wrote:PS for Susan- Now that ski season is over... you're going down Blue Team!

Yeah, that's what he said... by the way, in case you need a refresher:

-"Sum of prominence" does not include elevation gained while riding the ski lift.

-"Bagging a peak" does not entail disembarking from the ski lift.

-Riding your skis down the same hill seventeen times does not count towards your "efficiency" or "number of peaks per day average."

-"Average elevation" does not mean how far you lift your butt off the barstool every time you get up to use the restroom at the ski lodge.

-And "total unranked peaks" mean absolutely nothing, although for some reason that's the one category where my team is excelling. Why?
BRING IT ON RODENAK!
susanjoypaul

Postby John Kirk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:31 pm

Susan - would you like to be the blue team's admin (Kirk Mallory is the current admin - based on 2009 total peak leaders). You get to name the team and other sorts of stuff, or better yet, maybe you could name all the teams :-D ?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby MikeRodenak » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:48 am

susanjoypaul wrote:
MikeRodenak wrote:PS for Susan- Now that ski season is over... you're going down Blue Team!

Yeah, that's what he said... by the way, in case you need a refresher:

-"Sum of prominence" does not include elevation gained while riding the ski lift.

-"Bagging a peak" does not entail disembarking from the ski lift.

-Riding your skis down the same hill seventeen times does not count towards your "efficiency" or "number of peaks per day average."

-"Average elevation" does not mean how far you lift your butt off the barstool every time you get up to use the restroom at the ski lodge.

-And "total unranked peaks" mean absolutely nothing, although for some reason that's the one category where my team is excelling. Why?
BRING IT ON RODENAK!

Oh I have been a good little boy, I didn't count Peak 8 the 3 times I stood on its summit this year, and I have yet to check off Vail Mountain despite being on its summit more times than I can count. However when I skinned up PT 11020 and Red Benchmark from Vail Village (8150), that counts! More vertical than those 7ers in Fremont County I reckon :toothless:

Don't forget, last year between April 16th and November 15th I had 135 ranked peaks, my season is just getting started Joy Paul! :Mr. T:
MikeRodenak

Postby Steve Knapp » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:11 pm

Yeah Mike, you really need to step it up! Only 16 ranked peaks in almost four months? 7 of those 14er repeats? At least you did better than your one peak/month goal you probably hit in a real snow year. I'd gladly trade a few of my peaks for ski days I didn't get in this winter. Enjoy the closing festivities at Vail this weekend. If you find a way to get a cheap/free ticket let me know and I'm there. See you out in the hills when the lifts stop turning.

Susan, your prose is great as always. Who else would think of Sunwall's Slackers? I'm afraid to ask what you would come up with for my red team. Maybe you should name all the teams for us.

Oh yeah, a bit of a thread drift. Kirk, as I've said elsewhere you are amazing. However, expect the new record to be short-lived. :-D
Steve Knapp

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:31 pm

John Kirk wrote:Susan - would you like to be the blue team's admin (Kirk Mallory is the current admin - based on 2009 total peak leaders). You get to name the team and other sorts of stuff, or better yet, maybe you could name all the teams :-D ?

Yeah, I would be happy to be the Blue team's admin, but only if Kirk Mallory retains the "Captain" title. And only if I can name our team "Captain's Log." Perfect :-)

Steve Knapp wrote:I'm afraid to ask what you would come up with for my red team

"Steve's Knappers." And not after you Steve, but 'cause everybody else on the Red Team appears to be asleep :-)

MikeRodenak wrote:Oh I have been a good little boy, I didn't count Peak 8 the 3 times I stood on its summit this year, and I have yet to check off Vail Mountain despite being on its summit more times than I can count.

That's the difference between you and me, Rodenak. I would have counted them all! :rofl:
susanjoypaul

Postby John Kirk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:35 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:Yeah, I would be happy to be the Blue team's admin

Done :wiz:
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby kirkmallory » Sun May 09, 2010 9:19 pm

Well, that didn't last long. Congratulations Steve! 17 ranked peaks in a day, almost 18 if one of them had 3 more feet of prominence (which could be ranked by definition of "soft rank"). So how long did it take, how many separate starts, and how many miles & vertical?

http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/mapasc.php?m=Steve%20Knapp&d=2010-05-07
Last edited by kirkmallory on Sun May 09, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kirkmallory

Postby John Kirk » Sun May 09, 2010 9:47 pm

Those Jeffco repeats are making me laugh. I can only imagine what was going through your head on the drive back :disturbed:
Must have had the good old headlamp out for a while.

I'd actually be even more shocked if you started the day out with those...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Steve Knapp » Mon May 10, 2010 11:02 am

OK, some details are probably in order. So here's a mini TR. I didn't plan on breaking the record Friday. I invited Aaron Voth to join me in Park county, describing it as a potentially large 10-15 peak day and he was game for that. The caveat was he had to be back in Boulder at 7:30 p.m., so we'd have to leave Park County 5-5:30 ish. With that time constraint I knew there would be no record but still welcomed the company. We'd never hiked together before but I was confident he's be up for this based on his reported accomplishments on LoJ. He was a great partner for the day, much younger than me, 6'5" tall and a cross country runner. He was almost always ahead on the way up each peak, which in effect acted as a pacer for me to get my older legs up the hill. I think I wore him out by later in the day though. :-D

We met at the Fort along 285 and started hiking on 9756 about 6:30 a.m. The order for the Park Co peaks was 9756, 9564, 9850, 9507 (soft ranked and only 3' shy of being a peak), 10090, 10420, 10220, 10550, Dicks Pk, 10580, 10390, Agate Mtn, 9900, 3-Mile Mtn, and Rodgers BM. This area has lots of peaks and good 4WD road access. We were able to drive within a mile or less on each peak, but no drive ups. Avg gain was about 350-500' per peak. 10390 was one that might have had a bit less than 300' of gain, you can drive pretty high on that one. Agate and 10390 took a long time to drive to from the Dicks Pk area but were nice additions. Most of these peaks are on NF land, but no trespassing issues on those that weren't. Thanks to Kevin Baker for the nice TR's on some of these peaks. Also kudos to Teresa Gergen, who did six of these on April 3 on snowshoes starting from Hwy 9. Wow! One month later the snow is gone and we could drive anywhere in the area, making the record possible.

The story continues beyond Park County. We had 14 ranked Park Co peaks done at 5 pm. Aaron had to get back home and I was driving. I was extremely bummed that the record was only three peaks away, there was more than three hours of daylight left, and I had other unclimbed Park County peaks nearby. But Aaron could not get out of his dinner plans. So we beat it out of there and back to Morrison. You're right John, I was tormented by having to stop at 14 all the way home. Considered tacking on a repeat like Michigan Hill but that would have truely been lame! I dropped Aaron off at the Fort about 7 p.m. and considered how I would reach 17 peaks.

Since I've climbed everything in JeffCo the last three would be repeats. I chose three that were close to 285 in the Morrison area and that I knew well enough to not get lost in the dark. Parked at Tiny Town and headed up the old abandoned trail to the saddle of 7965 and Mt. Lindo. I felt surprisingly fresh, a 2-hour rest with food and hydration had helped my recovery from the previous 14. 7965 was first, that one requires some semi-ugly bushwhacking that I didn't want to do in the dark. The sun set on the top of that one, it was pretty. Back to the saddle and then up the more open south slope of Lindo in fading light. Cool view of the city lights. Headlamp on for the trail back to the truck. These two peaks were 2 miles RT and 1600' of gain, the most gain of any peaks on the day.

It was now 9:00 p.m. with one peak left to go. Mt. Falcon would be last. I drove to the western parking lot. I've been up this peak many times, but usually on my bike on the hard approach from the east. I would have to break some rules as the park is closed at sunset. Fortunately nobody discovered me. This was a fairly flat 2 mile RT hike on trails. Maybe only 250' gain total, but I felt I had earned the record on the previous two peaks. Never been up there at night. The city light views were breathtaking. I was done by 10 and finally satisfied with the day. Could have squeezed in another hogback repeat, but I'm not big on repeats. 17 peaks is not likely to last long anyway. I only raised the bar a little. Sorry to have to break your short-lived record Kirk! :rip:

Total stats for the day were 19.5 miles of hiking and 8200' of gain. 16 separate starts (including 9507). 320 miles of driving and back to sleep in my own bed. Fun, fun, fun! I love stuff like this. It takes a lot of advance planning, which I enjoy almost as much as executing the plan.
Steve Knapp

Postby aaronvoth » Mon May 10, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks for the great day Steve, I'd never done a day quite like this before, but would love to do it again. I realized when I got home and checked LOJ that we could have got 10214 near Rodgers BM, we almost drove to the saddle. It would have been a good addition from that area. I caught my second wind when I was starting dinner, I was a little disappointed that I couldn't share the record for a short while.

I may try to break that record Friday with another day in Park County, or even better I think I may be able to break your 70 peaks in month this May. Although that will probably be short-lived as well.

It will only be a matter of time before someone gets 20+ peaks in a day and 100+ in a month.
aaronvoth

PreviousNext

Return to Lists in the Works