LoJ 2010 Peak Battle

Leaders by Category

Re: LoJ 2010 Peak Battle

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:44 am

TeresaGergen wrote:Susan - 6 different trips, 12 weeks total; one with no peaks at all (just trekking) because I'd do anything with my 76-year-old dad while he still can and because he asked me to, and one out of the country so if I am lucky enough to summit what I'm after, the 3 peaks it'll take 2 weeks to get won't go on LOJ anyway. CA and WY are not high peak-count places to spend a couple weeks either. And some state highpoints aren't ranked. That leaves one CO trip where I'm after 20 specific 12ers and 3 specific repeat 14ers. And, oh yeah, the one 11er that will finish San Juan County.

Well, I can't think of a better reason to take a peak - I mean week - off, than spending time with your dad!

Sounds like you have a spectacular summer lined up Teresa - especially that trip out of the country. You'll have to let us know how that goes... I don't have any big trips planned this year, but I'll definitely be slowing down as the temps rise, and I start seeking out higher altitudes to get out of the heat (and the cactus, and thorns, and scrub oak). And I just can't get many really high peaks in a day; I think my record is just three 13ers, and I fell asleep on the last one!
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Postby John Kirk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:17 am

For those of us who are not numbers-driven bottom feeders (aka elevation elitists and prominence snobs :-P ), I've added Average Elevation and Sum of Prominence categories:

(link removed)
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby MikeRodenak » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:46 am

John Kirk wrote:For those of us who are not numbers-driven bottom feeders (aka elevation elitists and prominence snobs :-P ), I've added Average Elevation and Sum of Prominence categories:

(link removed)

Thanks! Now Orange team is finally first in something :-D
MikeRodenak

Postby AdamMcFarren » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:19 pm

Wow, if Steve Knapp was the only member of his team, he wouldn't be ranked last.

Okay, maybe I'll get out and get a few peaks for Team Green this weekend. Ice climbing has been fun, but hasn't led to any ranked summits.

-adam
AdamMcFarren

Postby TeresaGergen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:27 pm

John Kirk wrote:(aka elevation elitists and prominence snobs :-P )

Hee! Love it. :-D
TeresaGergen

Postby EricNoel » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:29 pm

Green Team must surely be a prom snob team. Though we prefer the term Enlightened Prominencians, thanks. Nearly last in P300s but first in a landslide in average prom. Woohoo.
EricNoel

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:39 am

John Kirk wrote:I have to admit that explaining it to an outsider puts things in perspective.

Try explaining it to your kids. True story:

I was on the phone with my 16-year-old son last week, getting all his college updates. When he politely asked me what I've been up to, I told him, "Not much, but - oh, there's this peak-bagging competition that I'm kind of in, and it's been fun."

"What?" he asked.

"We track it online - I'm actually doing pretty good! You know, I'd be doing this every week anyway, but it's kind of cool to track it on the Internet."

Dead silence. OK, so it may not compare with a full load of coursework at Texas Tech, but still, he could say *something* positive, something supportive... I *am* his mother.

"Garrett, isn't that kind of cool?" I asked.

"Wait, what are you doing?"

"Peak-bagging."

"Ooooohhhh... I thought you said tea-bagging contest."

Dead silence.

"So Garrett, how's that poli sci class?"

"Snicker, snicker..."

I'm sure he thought that was pretty funny. Brat.
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Postby AzScott » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:59 am

So I have a question relating to the new fields added to this challenge. I understand that 'total peaks' and 'distinct peaks' are now separate categories, but I was wondering how this applied to the 'Total Prominence' category. The reason I ask is that I work directly beneath Piestewa (Squaw) Peak here in Phoenix, and it's a great after-work work out. The trail climbs 1200' in just over a mile, so it's a nice leg and lung burner. I do it about 40 times a year...but in the past, I've I left it off my personal peak lists just because I view it as more of a workout instead of a 'summit', but mainly I feel it would falsely pad my personal stats. The peak has 1183' prominence, so it's not a small number

However, if I were to log it each and every time this year that I do it, would that count in Team Red's total prominence? I mean, that alone would be 50k+ prominence this year. Thoughts?
Mountains complement desert as desert complements city, as wilderness complements and completes civilization. - Ed Abbey
AzScott

Postby John Kirk » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:01 pm

AzScott wrote:The reason I ask is that I work directly beneath Piestewa (Squaw) Peak here in Phoenix, and it's a great after-work work out. The trail climbs 1200' in just over a mile, so it's a nice leg and lung burner. I do it about 40 times a year...but in the past, I've I left it off my personal peak lists just because I view it as more of a workout instead of a 'summit', but mainly I feel it would falsely pad my personal stats.

Summits are summits - I'd enter it every time (I have different opinions about counting the same summit more than once in a day though).
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby AzScott » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:12 pm

John Kirk wrote:Summits are summits - I'd enter it every time (I have different opinions about counting the same summit more than once in a day though).

Ah, that answered my next question. Every now and then I'll do "repeats" (x2 or x3) if I'm training for some big race or mountaineering adventure. So I'll just log one per day, then. I tend to agree with you on that viewpoint, but to each his or her own.
Mountains complement desert as desert complements city, as wilderness complements and completes civilization. - Ed Abbey
AzScott

Postby cftbq » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:57 pm

[quote="susanjoypaul"]
"Wait, what are you doing?"

"Peak-bagging."

"Ooooohhhh... I thought you said tea-bagging contest."

Dead silence.

Awesome. Let us all know how you do at tea-bagging. (Sheesh...kids these days...)
elmo
"from mountains high, I gained strength for my soul" --Dave Cousins
cftbq

Previous

Return to LOJ Member Stats