Cloud, Francs, and Wind River Peaks

Cloud, Francs, and Wind River Peaks

Postby JoshFM » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:56 pm

If you are interested in climbing one or more of these Wyoming peaks this winter or early spring, I'm looking for a climbing partner. I'm also open to any ideas for other Wyoming winter climbs or ski tours. Reply here or email me directly: jjfoust@gmail.com
Thanks! -Josh
JoshFM

Re: Cloud, Francs, and Wind River Peaks

Postby lukePlumley » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:23 pm

Josh,

What are the winter stats for distance and gain for Cloud Peak? How many days would you plan for a snow climb?

lp
lukePlumley

Postby JoshFM » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:50 am

Hello,
The distance could be a mighty long one. It really depends on how passable the road (FSR 27) is up to West Ten Sleep Lake (9000 ft), which is a common summer starting point and from there it is about 23 miles round trip and 4000 feet elevation gain. Other routes are possible, but require more investigation. The main challenge with each of these three peaks is the long approach, which can be extended in winter conditions. Right now, I would say for Cloud Peak in winter, 3 days is optimistic and 4 days could be a reality, depending on conditions. Someone out there might have better local knowledge, but I have not come across any news on winter ascents of Cloud Peak.
JoshFM

Postby TWorth » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:43 pm

Good winter choices - long approaches, but all look to be pretty avy safe on their standard routes.

Only winter climbs for Francs and Cloud I have heard of are by Gary Cole and partners in the 60s. One would think all three have seen more than a few winter ascents since then, but I've never run across any more recent accounts.

Snowmobile support might help for Wind River Peak if you are starting from the South Pass area. A local winter rec club(out of Lander, I think) grooms some of the USFS roads towards Louis Lake, or at least used to. Otherwise, the Sweetwater Guard station on the SW side might be reachable by vehicle.

I'm working in Wyoming this spring, will be way too busy for any multi day expeditions over that time. No big WY peaks for me until June at the earliest. Already been up all three in summer. Good luck though, I'd be interested to hear how it goes one way or the other. -Tim W
TWorth

Postby JoshFM » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:59 pm

Thanks for the great information, Tim. It is my aim to get up at least one of these this winter. If it happens, I'll post a report.

TWorth wrote:Good winter choices - long approaches, but all look to be pretty avy safe on their standard routes.

Only winter climbs for Francs and Cloud I have heard of are by Gary Cole and partners in the 60s. One would think all three have seen more than a few winter ascents since then, but I've never run across any more recent accounts.

Snowmobile support might help for Wind River Peak if you are starting from the South Pass area. A local winter rec club(out of Lander, I think) grooms some of the USFS roads towards Louis Lake, or at least used to. Otherwise, the Sweetwater Guard station on the SW side might be reachable by vehicle.

I'm working in Wyoming this spring, will be way too busy for any multi day expeditions over that time. No big WY peaks for me until June at the earliest. Already been up all three in summer. Good luck though, I'd be interested to hear how it goes one way or the other. -Tim W
JoshFM

Return to Summit Hikes and Climbs