Summits of 49 states

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Summits of 49 states

Postby TWorth » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:58 pm

I see that all US states outside of Alaska now have their summits listed. Actually noticed a few months ago but unless I missed something haven't seen mention of it here yet.

Nice work John. Pretty significant milestone for the site. Just under 6 years for the project. I enjoyed helping with CO, WY, ID, and MT lists the first few years, until all the map study stopped sinking in and it all became a blur.

Took a lot of effort, but based on the donations coming in these days looks like folks recognize that.

So whats the total peak count for the 49 states? Lower 48 only? I can only find the state by state breakdown. Just adding the totals would include all those duplicates along the ID/MT border.

Last year I was partway through creating a Winprom-like program to find summits using DEM data at any prom threshold. Would be very useful in Canada where the maps are not always the greatest. The DEM based lists wouldn't be the actual lists of course, but would be plotted on a mapping program as a starting point and speed the whole process up. Never finished it, these days all my software work is commercial in nature so who knows when it will get revisited. -Tim W
TWorth

Re: Summits of 49 states

Postby JoeGrim » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:17 am

I never noticed that all the states were done. Great work, John! (and everyone else who contributed early on.)
JoeGrim

Postby RyanSchilling » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:54 am

What, no trumpeting that the Iowa list -- and its three peaks -- was completed? Congrats John! What a massive project!
RyanSchilling

Postby John Kirk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:04 pm

It's been many years of steady work! Of course, the work is never done with new discoveries, new peak names, field observation, map errors, etc...

AK is on the horizon :shh:

I updated the US Totals by State with a total for the contiguous US:
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/statestats.php?p=300&c=y
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed May 02, 2012 2:07 pm

What, no trumpeting that the Iowa list -- and its three peaks -- was completed? Congrats John! What a massive project!

I just noticed this could sound assholish. :oops: No sarcasm intended -- I was referring to the project as a whole, and meant it sincerely.

AK below 10K' next, egad! :worms:
RyanSchilling

Postby John Kirk » Wed May 02, 2012 2:51 pm

No worries...

Thanks to everyone who shared the vision and helped create the foundation (beginning with Colorado) and thanks to those who have continually helped in an immense way throughout the entire project.
:wiz: :disturbed: :rock:
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Steve Knapp » Wed May 02, 2012 9:56 pm

You've done some incredible work John. Thanks for finishing the lower 49. Your website is awesome, can't imagine ever going without it.
Steve Knapp

Postby MikeRodenak » Thu May 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Great job John! Amazing amount of work put into this site, you rock! :rock:
MikeRodenak

Postby wayfarer » Sat May 12, 2012 4:51 pm

Wow! I hadn't realized the 49 state completion either. Congratulations on a most awesome project and the finest peakbagging resource in the US!!

Rick
wayfarer

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:26 am

Agreed! GREAT work, John. Fantastic site.
Jeremy Hakes

Return to Lists in the Works