Custom lists

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Re: Custom lists

Postby TWorth » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:48 am

So this morning I go to sort the list I created yesterday and its already done! Neat feature, thanks for all your improvements on this John. Rick has posted a lot of good ideas here.

Rick - Another regional grouping for eastern states would be a New England steepness list. All the states are done(except for that one RI summit). I've been dragging my feet on putting that together, not sure if you're interested in NE vs SE but feel free to have a go at that if you wish. Otherwise I'll get around to putting it up here and on my website, eventually. I guess NE hikers like to use 200' of prom for summits so not sure if it will be too helpful for record keeping, but hey, nothing is perfect.
TWorth

Postby wayfarer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:17 am

Hi Tim,

What a coincidence! Actually, I was already planning to do both lists when I have time. I was figuring maybe a 100 Steepest Northeast and 100 Steepest Southeast list, probably using your Average Steepest at 100/800/1600 figures for the overall most impressive. I hadn't yet decided about ranked vs. unranked on the list, but now that you mention it, I suppose I could use 200' prom as the cutoff for unranked peaks so it would be consistent with eastern peakbagging. I'll just have to sort through the lists and find the best from each state. Of course, for the Southeast, it will have to be minus Georgia and Kentucky until they become available for you to calculate. I can always revise the list then.

I like Northeast better, but hey, I live in the Southeast. So I climb whatever I can. I'll be happy to try doing both. It may be a while though.

Rick
wayfarer

Postby John Kirk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:23 am

TWorth wrote:
Rick - Another regional grouping for eastern states would be a New England steepness list.

I would actually prefer to see these steepness lists over any ORS or other "Spire Measure" related stuff, primarily because those are terrain measures, which are only coincidentally measures of summits when the case occurs. The edges of the Grand Canyon score really high in "spire measure", but you have to ask two questions...1) Is this actually measuring a "Spire"? and 2) Is this even measuring a summit (i.e. downhill for vast distances in all directions)?

These are the types of issues that initiated Tim's work on steepness of summits per se, which has a lot more value IMO to climbers.
Off the soapbox... :disturbed:
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby wayfarer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:48 pm

Hmm. I may be misunderstanding "Omnidirectional Relief and Steepness" measurements. I must admit to being a bit puzzled about the presence of certain peaks and absence of others. For example, Grindstone Ridge in Virginia is essentially a large, cliff-bound shoulder of High Knob, with gentle slopes above, but it makes the Southeast Top 50 list at #47. Meanwhile, the Pinnacles of Dan, also in Virginia, which score very high (for Virginia) on Tim's list is not on the RORS list at all. Regardless, most of the peaks on both the Eastern RORS lists are definitely among the most visually impressive peaks in the East and I have made it a goal to try visiting them all eventually. So it is very neat to be able to track my progress and see what others have done on LOJ. And if there are access issues with any of them, and I see that someone else has climbed it, I may be able to learn something from them. But if you would prefer, I can keep these lists private and share the links with a few friends or anyone who asks me for it.

That being said, I think Tim's lists are fascinating. They also come up with many of the most impressive looking peaks. And since they score every peak in the LOJ database, they are more useful for searching out new places to explore. Though it's a bit less of a problem in the Northeast than in the Southeast ( a lot rockier up there, and they do have some peaks above treeline), I think the steepness lists are a good tool for searching out views. Peaks that score high, especially on maximum steepness, are quite likely to have rock outcrops and cliff faces. Of course, this is rarely a consideration out West, but I think about it a lot here in Virginia. I have already put Tim's lists to my own use towards that end but I think it will be cool to have a couple of regional best lists. So I'm looking forward to making those 100 Steepest lists too. If I leave the RORS lists public, I think it will be fun for people to be able to compare the differences.

What can I say? I work with what I've got. Always looking for something worthwhile to go up!

Rick
wayfarer

Postby wayfarer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:23 am

Would it be difficult to add the ability to put decimal points in the custom field and have the numbers after also show up? When I type in an average steepness figure like 25.44, only the 25 shows up on the actual list. If I type in 2544, it shows up as 2,544. If I type in 25_44, it still only shows up as 25.

Rick
wayfarer

Postby John Kirk » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:59 am

crshortt wrote:Would it be difficult to add the ability to put decimal points in the custom field and have the numbers after also show up? When I type in an average steepness figure like 25.44, only the 25 shows up on the actual list. If I type in 2544, it shows up as 2,544. If I type in 25_44, it still only shows up as 25.

Rick

Added the format to two decimal places if the number has a decimal.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby wayfarer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:13 am

Thanks!

Rick
wayfarer

Previous

Return to Lists in the Works