Oklahoma?

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Oklahoma?

Postby aaronvoth » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:03 pm

Will Oklahoma be on LOJ any time soon? I've made several summits in the Wichita Mountains, when I lived in Kansas those were the closest mountains to my home.

Some quick questions regarding Kansas, if KS is ever listed on LOJ how will some county highpoints be determined when there are multiple closed contours at the highpoint elevation or will all of the closed contours be listed? Does Kansas have a P300 point, as far as I can tell KS does not.
aaronvoth

Re: Oklahoma?

Postby JoeGrim » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll try to answer some of these Kansas questions.

If there are multiple closed contours that are candidates for the summit of a P300 peak, and none of them have a marked elevation inside them, the largest contour is typically chosen as the highpoint. However, field observations using scientific methods (not, "this one looked higher") trump John's map analysis.

According to the prominence pages at peakbaggers.com (http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=41207), Kansas most prominent peak is Pottawatomie County High Point with a prominence of 260+'. So unless they overlooked something, there are no P300s in Kansas. I can say from personal experience that not all data on peakbaggers.com is accurate, although it is overall a reliable source. Of course, not nearly as reliable as LOJ!
JoeGrim

Postby John Kirk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:33 am

Not sure when I'll get to OK, but Steve and I just did the four highest a few days ago. When multiple contours exist, I list them unless there are too many (more than 10 or so). Example: http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=96349
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby aaronvoth » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:55 am

I did see that you and Steve climbed some previously unlisted OK summits, that's why I asked if OK was on the agenda.

Onto KS, I think peakbagger is wrong on the prominence or I missed some contour. From what I can tell the Butler County high point, which is also the Flint Hills highpoint has 260'+ prominence as well. I wouldn't be surprised if some point in the Red Hills near Medicine Lodge rival that prominence. Though I seriously doubt I will find a P300.
aaronvoth

Postby John Kirk » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:14 pm

OK is up now...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to Lists in the Works