County Summits Member Progress

Potential lists to add to the existing array

County Summits Member Progress

Postby John Kirk » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:12 pm

I've decided to integrate county summits progress maps (and other progress maps will follow, like continental divide summits) with the Google maps interface, as automation is much more attainable. This means I will not have to hand-code any of the county maps, such as this old one:
<link removed>

These took several hours to prepare, and lacked features some asked for, such as highways. Then there is updating the maps when names change. Rather than do all that, the spatial problems, shaping, etc are taken care of with the base layer from Google. Best of all, a single file will handle all counties/states/etc instead of having to build separately.

I tested it out on the biggest US county (in terms of summit numbers - 1,300+ summits), and it performed just fine, so I think this is the way to go (a few years ago a couple hundred summits seemed to clog Google maps).

I'll need to create the form boxes to input/select county, member, state, etc.
Completed Script:
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/gmapcty.php
Last edited by John Kirk on Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby JoeGrim » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:52 am

Wow! I like this version much better. Especially how one can zoom in on an area of interest, see the topography, roads, etc. Nice work!
JoeGrim

Postby lukePlumley » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:34 am

This is great John. Can 't wait to see the finished product. A P1000 prominence map per state would be a fine map to add to this.
lukePlumley

Postby RyanSchilling » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:54 pm

Looks great! This is a lot of fun to play around with.
RyanSchilling

Postby DSunwall » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:05 pm

I was going to ask to change the background from black to white so it would print without using so much ink. this is a big improvement however, it is good to be able to see roads etc.

The problem with google maps will be the names do not print, but thats ok, having the map is good enough.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:42 pm

lukePlumley wrote:This is great John. Can 't wait to see the finished product. A P1000 prominence map per state would be a fine map to add to this.

Here is a prominence version:
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/gmapprom.php
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:15 pm

DSunwall wrote:I was going to ask to change the background from black to white so it would print without using so much ink.

The old version or the new one? If the new version - I'm a little confused, because background colors that are not images should not print at all unless using a 'Print Screen' key. For example, this is what I get when I look at print preview of this page:
Attachments
prtsc.JPG
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:24 pm

I was referring to the county completion maps, and I don't use print screen, just print. If I knew print screen did not print background colors I would have used that. Now I know.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:31 pm

Print Screen will print background colors, otherwise, I'm not aware of a way to do it. The old completion maps, like this one would print black, because they are actually images instead of background colors.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Ryan Kowalski » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:41 pm

John,

This is a great addition, especially as it keeps you from having to make every county by hand! Lots of great planning/ideas looking at these maps. Thanks!

Ryan
Ryan Kowalski

Return to Lists in the Works