Prominence in a day

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Prominence in a day

Postby Al Sandorff » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Similar to peaks in a day, how about a list of prominence in a day, with a threshold perhaps of 10k+ feet instead of 5+ peaks. Tangents could be number of 1k+, 2k+, and/or 5k+ prominence peaks in a day as well. Variations could also be done using isolation as well as elevation cutoffs. Just food for thought, I had alot of time for my mind to wander last weekend with 2 different 8 hour solo outings :)

Al
Al Sandorff

Postby John Kirk » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:05 am

Interesting - I've been over 9k prominence 3 times, but two were only one peak days.

The big winners of prominence in a day category need only do Denali, Mauna Kea, or Rainier. One could also follow up a hike of Elbert with a drive up Pikes and surpass 14k prominence with little difficulty. It isn't necessarily indicative of a day of hard effort to have a high prominence number (i.e. those who have driven up Mauna Kea's summit have more prominence in a day than any day I've had), whereas 5+ peaks in a day does imply effort.

# of peaks in a day at higher prominence thresholds could be a good addition (1k, 2k, etc..).
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Al Sandorff » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:33 pm

Granted there are some easier ways to rack up big prominence numbers, driving up Haleakala was one for me, but one can also find 5 300 foot driveups to do instead that doesn't take a much different amount of effort either. With a little island hop one could do the Hula Trio for over 30K. I just thought it might make an interesting twist.

Al
Al Sandorff

Postby John Kirk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:36 pm

Here's a page showing multiple high prominence ascents (with the ability to choose prominence thresholds, here 1k is used):
http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Co ... om.php?P=1

You can put in a custom threshold by substituting P=x with the number of your choosing (divided by 1000) as long as the figure is greater than 499'. So for example, to see 900'+ prominence, the url would look like:
http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Co ... m.php?P=.9
For 2500' prominence:
http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Co ... .php?P=2.5

Looks like multiple Ultras in a day has only happened once among our members who log their dates - Bob Bolton took care of Graham and Lemmon the same day:

http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Co ... -05-24&P=5
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Sat May 16, 2009 11:01 pm

Al, I must confess your idea rubbed off on me. I decided to try San Gorgonio and San Jacinto in a day (plus a spur ranked 10er off San Gorgonio, which had a register placed in 1975).

Only took 11 hours of hiking, but 29+ miles and 8600' gain later, it was noticeably rough on me hours later. 16,970' total prominence.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Brian Kalet » Tue May 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Quite an accomplishment as a Coloradan! How long did it take roundtrip from Arvada?
Brian Kalet

Postby John Kirk » Tue May 19, 2009 11:10 pm

Brian Kalet wrote:Quite an accomplishment as a Coloradan! How long did it take roundtrip from Arvada?

Thanks Brian
Still here in CA, but to answer partially, I was back in the hotel in Corona at 6pm (down from San Jacinto to car at 4:45pm). I boarded the plane in Denver the day before at 6pm.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Al Sandorff » Sat May 23, 2009 10:32 pm

Good job John, brings up your prominence average for sure. I'm curious if you did San Jacinto with or without the tram. I would have had to in order to think about bagging both in the same day.

Al
Al Sandorff

Postby John Kirk » Sun May 24, 2009 9:48 am

Al Sandorff wrote:I'm curious if you did San Jacinto with or without the tram.

With the tram. A major reason I did them in the same day is the tram starts so late on weekdays (10pm) and Sunday was already reserved for other activities.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to Lists in the Works