Wilderness HPs List

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Postby John Kirk » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:13 pm

DSunwall wrote:
The first thing I do is determine all the counties in the area. I download the peak Topo! file for each county from the LOJ Txt file generator. I merge all the counties into one file. Then I determine the lat and long of a big rectangle that is a bit larger than the Widlerness.

I added the LOJ primary key (Id) to the message field for topo! file downloads - this makes it a lot easier for me to update the peaks that belong to a wilderness - if you can, please include the Id going forward.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:14 pm

I meant to lasso on the map, I do know how to select many in the waypoint list. Its to tedious to use a lat long rectangle for every little indentation in the wilderness boundaries.

I would like to know how to separate the message cell into rise and iso columns in Excel?? like you have for the flat tops. Looks like I will have to do that for the ID now as well.

now I have to download all those counties again... argg. :-D not a big deal.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:08 pm

DSunwall wrote:
now I have to download all those counties again... argg. :-D not a big deal.

Don't mess with it unless you start a new wilderness... To separate the ISO, Id, etc in excel - select the column first, then go to Data->text to columns->delimited->check 'space'
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Sangre De Cristo wilderness

Postby DSunwall » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:27 am

Sangre De Cristo Wilderness, it was interesting. I decided to make a good border as a route first, 276.74 tedious miles. It wasn't too bad in places it followed a Forest boundary or a trail/road, but where it just takes of cross country it was difficult. It would help if the TI map scale was the same as Topo!. A few quads were newer USGS and had the border. It was worth the effort though, determining the peaks was cake having a good border.

I imported the GIS boundary into the same file to compare, it was close in many areas but the section from the town of Crestone north on the west side of the range must be new, the GIS file only included the east side.

Mt. Lindsey, Blanca, Little Bear, Kit Carson, Challenger, are not in the wilderness area, I wonder if Chris Davenport realized that. How many other 14ers are not in a Wilderness?
Attachments
Sangre De Cristo Wilderness.xls
XLS file of the peaks. Includes peak ID. I hope I have removed all the duplicates.
(28.5 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Sangre De Cristo Wilderness.tpo
Sangre De Cristo Tpo file. Includes peaks and boundary
(24.06 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Last edited by DSunwall on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSunwall

Postby MikeRodenak » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:44 am

I also finished up the Mount Massive Wilderness, only 8 ranked peaks plus 3 soft and 4 unranked. This was one was pretty easy seeing as the western boundary is the Continental Divide 8)

I also revised my Holy Cross Wilderness one to remove PT 11780 B, in looking at my maps, I was mistaken and it is outside the wilderness boundary. My map had its summit labeled as 11696 so I thought it was the point on the other side of the wilderness boundary but when I checked it with the summit coordinates it cleared up. I am reposting it so that you don't have to "fix" it yourselves.
Attachments
HCW Peaks.xls
REVISED Holy Cross Wilderness (XLS)
(26 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Massive Peaks.xls
Mount Massive Wilderness (XLS)
(21.5 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
MikeRodenak

Re: Sangre De Cristo wilderness

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:01 am

DSunwall wrote:Mt. Lindsey, Blanca, Little Bear, Kit Carson, Challenger, are not in the wilderness area, I wonder if Chris Davenport realized that. How many other 14ers are not in a Wilderness?

I had always assumed the KC was added to the wilderness area when the peak became public in 2004, but it's clear the boundaries were not revised. Wonder if that will be remedied someday?
RyanSchilling

Postby John Kirk » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:42 pm

Here are the Sneffels and Lizard Head Wilderness Lists:
Attachments
SNEFFELS.xls
Sneffels
(14.5 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
LIZARDHEAD.xls
Lizard Head
(14.5 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:26 am

DSunwall wrote:Then I determine the lat and long of a big rectangle that is a bit larger than the Widlerness. In the Waypoint display I sort by lat and delete everything north and south of the rectangle and then repeat for longitude.

I think I'll add the option of producing the TOPO! txt files using 2 sets of coords to make a rectangle rather having to select separate counties - this should save some steps.... However, I'll have to limit it to a set square mileage so that the server isn't bombed with requests for entire states at a time...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:49 am

that sounds good John, that will also eliminate duplicate peaks on the county borders.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:03 pm

DSunwall wrote:that sounds good John, that will also eliminate duplicate peaks on the county borders.

Hmm... My Topo! just overwrites during the import process if waypoints have the same name (names must be distinct). Are you using an older version?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:08 pm

I thought that was true the first area I did, but next time I had lots of duplicates. not sure what I did different? one thing I changed, I eliminated all the out of bounds peaks one county at a time so the file didn't get to big and crash. but I don't why that would make the import act differently. ??? anyways, might not matter anymore.

I didn't like having to delete duplicates because there was the possibility of accidentally erasing a non duplicate.

I do have the latest version.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:33 pm

OK - give the file generator a whirl now:

http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Content/topo.php
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:46 pm

thats cool, works good, it will save quite a few steps.

It will also be good for getting all the peaks for an area to hike rather than by county.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:22 pm

Raggeds, Big Blue, South San Juan:
Attachments
Raggeds.xls
Raggeds
(15.5 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
BigBlue.xls
Big Blue
(22 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
SouthSanJuan.xls
South San Juan