More than 5 Ranked in a Day Stats

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Re: More than 5 Ranked in a Day Stats

Postby Steve Knapp » Tue May 11, 2010 2:26 pm

aaronvoth wrote:I may try to break that record Friday with another day in Park County, or even better I think I may be able to break your 70 peaks in month this May. Although that will probably be short-lived as well.

It will only be a matter of time before someone gets 20+ peaks in a day and 100+ in a month.

Yikes, hope I didn't create a monster capable of whooping my ass. :-D This peak bagging stuff can be addicting. With 3-days off per week to go hike you can do some serious damage to the lists. Guess I better be checking the rear-view mirror on these stats. All in good fun. It was great to finally get out with you Aaron.
Steve Knapp

Postby RyanSchilling » Mon May 31, 2010 10:09 am

John and Steve really upped the ante on this record.... 27 peaks! (+ one unranked)

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/mapasc.php?m=John%20Kirk&d=2010-05-29
Last edited by RyanSchilling on Mon May 31, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanSchilling

Postby mikeofferman » Mon May 31, 2010 4:58 pm

Sick!
mikeofferman

Postby kirkmallory » Mon May 31, 2010 7:15 pm

Thanks guys - now there's absolutely no temptation (or possiblity?) for me to try and regain the title.
kirkmallory

Postby DSunwall » Mon May 31, 2010 7:32 pm

kirkmallory wrote:Thanks guys - now there's absolutely no temptation (or possiblity?) for me to try and regain the title.
:please: dam, you could have used fair play and upped the number by 1 each time instead. Game over. time for a new one. but, congrats! :rock:
DSunwall

Postby Steve Knapp » Mon May 31, 2010 10:17 pm

What a fun challenge! We were both eager to get the single day record before the summer heat sets in. It was a memorable day and John was a great partner for it. It was a full 24-hour marathon, midnight to midnight. 23.6 miles total, 12,160 vertical feet of gain, 15 hours of hiking, 24 separate starts, many miles driven between peaks.

We drove down from Denver Friday night and arrived a bit early. What to do? Climb a peak of course! Unranked Rattlesnake Hill at 10:30 p.m. was the warmup/tuneup for things to come. With no sleep for either of us since Thursday night, the adventure began Saturday morning at midnight with McIntyre Ridge. The nearly full moon helped for the five hours of darkness on night one, but we used headlamps too. We had six ranked peaks and unranked Devils Knob done by dawn. The goal was a one peak/hour pace including driving time. Just after dawn was the physical lowpoint for both of us, we were quite beat from hiking all night with no sleep. With the new day new energy/adrenaline arrived. The night was pleasant, slight breeze with 45-50 degree temps. The heat became our enemy mid-day. 75-80 degree temps never felt so hot but we did have a stiff breeze. The two 2-peak combos (8690/8876 and 8987/9175) were extremely tiring. We'd hoped to cool off mid-day on a couple 11ers in the area but were stymied by a permanent FS road closure along FR-621. So 10718 was the highpoint of the day. The order was mainly north to south, though we skipped Flagpole Hill and Saguache Hill to finish in the dark Saturday night. These were all new peaks for me. John had seven repeats but still 19 new peaks. The day was finished on Saguache Hill just after 11:00 p.m. I was craving a burger or pizza but had to settle for a protein bar with no restaurants in town. By midnight we were in the deepest sleep imaginable in a Saguache motel room. Keys to the day were pacing, constant eating and drinking, and teamwork. It helped to have one person driving and another navigating the roads on GPS. A cooler full of gatorade, soda pop, chocolate milk, and a variety of fruit was wonderful in the heat.

Surprisingly we both felt pretty good Sunday morning after a great night's sleep. After a killer breakfast at the Pancake House in Salida we climbed 12ers Missouri Hill, Lost Mtn, and 11178 in Chaffee county. Being on snow in the cool breezes above treeline never felt so good after the prior day's torturefest.

An interesting day neither of us care to repeat anytime soon. I am honored to share the new record with John.
Steve Knapp

Postby Kevin Baker » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:41 am

Wow, very impressive guys! I won't be going after that record! Now you need to get out of the trees and into the alpine world. I'm kind of burned out of bushwacking!
Kevin Baker

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:44 pm

Steve Knapp wrote:It was a full 24-hour marathon, midnight to midnight. 23.6 miles total, 12,160 vertical feet of gain, 15 hours of hiking, 24 separate starts, many miles driven between peaks.

That's ridiculous. You guys have crossed the line from peak-bagging to mountain masochism... in fact, it may be time for an INTERVENTION!

Thanks for the wrap-up, Steve - sounds like a grueling night... day... night. As for Sunday morning breakfast, I hope you each scarfed down at least 27 pancakes. You both earned it!
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Postby DSunwall » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:55 am

Now that the initial shock is over. You guys were prime candidates to get this done right having many many peak days. Training, planning, timing, putting in the full 24 hour effort, and near perfect execution were all there. This feat will not be easily repeated. More than 5 ranked in a day sounds silly now, needs to be more than 25 in a day. :-D
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:15 am

DSunwall wrote:Now that the initial shock is over. You guys were prime candidates to get this done right having many many peak days. Training, planning, timing, putting in the full 24 hour effort, and near perfect execution were all there. This feat will not be easily repeated. More than 5 ranked in a day sounds silly now, needs to be more than 25 in a day. :-D

We did not do perfectly, probably an hour wasted with driving choices. Then, we quit a bit early (had 45 minutes left). Steve also deviated from the plan with unranked Devils Knob :tongue: . Guess throwing an unranked in is now the standard etiquette when taking a prior record down. Kind of like pouring a beer on the ground for a dead homie :rip: .

If all peaks are repeats on an attempt, there is surely some time savings there. All I can say is don't make us do it again. :disturbed:
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Swithich » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:03 pm

Is there a list of stated rules for the challenge.

That is:
How much car travel is allowed? (to the top of the peak, or at least 300 feet elevation wise short of the summit..etc)
Where can we start? (we only count the summits, so if I hit mountain x at 12:00 A.M. that is peak one)
I don't understand this "starts" topic you guys are talking about. When you say 24 starts, do you mean you drove to beneath each peak and restarted from a road or trail?

I gather each peak has to be distinct in that it is a different peak, not a different climb up the same peak (because sometimes you have to climb back over a peak to get back to your car), and all peaks must be 300 feet or more prominence.

Anything else I'm missing?
Swithich

Postby John Kirk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:19 pm

There is no minimum gain required. The rest you have correct. In terms of separate starts, that means driving to a new location to begin new peaks. Peaks can only count once per 24 hours.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Previous

Return to Lists in the Works