Winter Peaks

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Winter Peaks

Postby DSunwall » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:33 pm

Here is another for the wish list John, as if you don't have enough going on here.

On the "other" site we have a winter 14er list. SarahT mentioned to me that she has only climbed one 14er in the winter but many 13ers, it seems logical that we should also have a winter 13er list.

Of course this leads to having the date climbed instead of the date input, I don't remember your reason for the input date rather than the date climbed. It seems the date climbed could give us lots of useful output, like how many we have climbed in different seasons in different areas, etc.

Then the little mountains could turn white instead of orange when we mouse over them. 8)
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:38 pm

Reason for leaving out the enter date option was for those who are entering their peaks of the past not having to deal with it - i.e. Mike Garratt having to key in a date for 3000 peaks. Then there's the maintenance issue of "I put in the wrong date". When it is logged can't be wrong. I can create a "winter section" - you'll just have to re-enter the peaks you've done in the winter.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:40 pm

Or,

I could produce a form that allows users to enter dates for past peaks (optional from user control panel), and prompt for "real date" (yes/no) upon submitting new peaks, which would take one to a form to enter the date for each new peak. I must admit I change dates for my peaks on the backend if they aren't from the day I enter them. Will let you know when I get to it.

:cry: Toliet :cry: Did I mention this Winter thing is really depressing to discuss already?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:16 am

you're right, it is depressing, sorry. Just when its finally starting to feel like summer. It's really more of the date climbed deal rather than snow. :toothless:

I felt like bugging you further but decided you would come around after thinking about it, I was hoping you would come up with a solution.
DSunwall

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:44 pm

You know, Dwight, if people would just enter a short TR on LOJ, they'd have the date already on there. :idea:

:)
Jeremy Hakes

Postby John Kirk » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:30 pm

OK Dwight,

You now are empowered to change the dates for every CO peak you've done, with the same options as you have to add peaks - i.e. by Elevation Range, Counties, Prominence, etc. You'll see a link when you log in. The clever part is peak names have red font if you've never changed the date. You can edit the date as many times as you like - red just tells you if you've ever changed the system-generated date.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:28 pm

I put change date as optional upon new peak entry, but only if the count is less than [20 edit], and the peaks were selected as publicly viewable. In other words, if entering more than [20 edit] peaks, or if the checkbox for "Selected Peaks climbed in the last 10 days" is empty, changing dates for any other peaks should be done through the link in the control panel (the page login takes you to).
Last edited by John Kirk on Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:47 pm

Jeremy Hakes wrote:You know, Dwight, if people would just enter a short TR on LOJ, they'd have the date already on there. :idea:

:)

yes, but then we couldn't use the date for any data sorts, like Winter Peaks. and I'm too lazy to write reports. Toliet

wow John, ask and you deliver, impressive dude! :toothless: now I better change the dates. :roll:

found it, after looking a little, pretty cool.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:12 pm

Since it seems some of us run into this problem of more peaks than we can put in and still display as recent peaks, I just upped the limit to 20 (row count < 21) for public viewing (and thus the # of peaks you can change the date on). I'd take this away all together, but someone is bound to check a ton and also check the climbed in last 10 days button, which would wipe out the recently climbed table.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Sweet.

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:58 am

Alright, Dwight, despite my earlier whining, that is freakin' cool. Nicely done, John! I have to change my dates for all my previous peaks that I have dates for (14ers and such). That's awesome. It'll be fun to sort my peaks and see how I did them (date wise).
Jeremy Hakes

Postby John Kirk » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:19 pm

DSunwall wrote:toothless: now I better change the dates. :roll:

Yes - it is looking pitiful :chair: :
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Content/ChangedDates.php
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:33 pm

Actually, I do like being able to keep track of my completion dates electronically (registered, if you will), but some of the other sites I've done it on (SP, e-register or some other thing I don't even remember) were fairly annoying to use, and didn't really provide me with a lot of ... well, interest or satisfaction as far as "checking it off". 8)

Nicely done, John! The site(s) keeps getting better and better.

Jeremy
Jeremy Hakes

Postby DSunwall » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:17 pm

John Kirk wrote:Yes - it is looking pitiful :chair: :
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Content/ChangedDates.php

great, a list of slackers. :oops:
DSunwall

Postby Layne Bracy » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:21 am

I like this. A couple thoughts/questions:

1)Once entered, where can we see the dates of our peaks(or someone else's)? Ultimately the date maybe should be added to all the personal peak lists, with an option to sort by date. In other words, I pull up someones P2K's, for example, and can see the dates and sort by date. This could include a master summit log for each climber, maybe viewable only one year at a time.

2)When changing/verifying a date, how about an option to leave one or more elements(day, month, year) unspecified? Maybe I know I climbed Peak X in March of 1998 and Peak Y in 1995 but don't know a specific month or day. This could be a zero, blank, ?? or something.

3)The winter issue hasn't been completely resolved, because it may require allowing multiple dates per peak. For example, for my 14ers I would need to choose between the original date I climbed a peak vs the later winter reclimb...

Thanks again for the work, John!
Layne Bracy

Another request - COLORS

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:28 am

Can the colors of the characters and the slide arrow be changed? When you are updating muliple peaks, the same white and light blue color make me all crazy. I liked the red "original date" color - that's kind of what I'm thinking of. Just the same white character and blue slide all overlap too much. Toliet

And why is the emoticon for toilet paper spelled T-o-l-i-e-t ? Is it a french word now? :-D
Jeremy Hakes

Next

Return to Lists in the Works