Trip Reports on Peak Profile Pages

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Trip Reports on Peak Profile Pages

Postby Layne Bracy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:12 pm

The peak profile pages are great.

One big enhancement would be to put links to trip reports there also. LOJ would need to be able to host them, but perhaps external links could be used also.

I would certainly allow all reports of mine to be used. If others followed suit, the current membership would have many hundreds to contribute.

One more step to making LOJ a place for one-stop shopping for peak info.

Thoughts?
Layne Bracy

Postby DSunwall » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:22 am

that would be a nice addition, but John may need to make LOJ a full time job, I am amazed at all he has done by himself so far.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:11 pm

Gerry R and I have had some discussions about adding a route page ala Fulcrum series that is somewhat akin to Itunes - downloadable for 99 cents, for example. This is in the works, I just don't know when we'll release it and in what format.

It would be cool to add TR posting to the profile pages. Like a 'submit a trip report' option, and the page already contains links to the ones that exist. I think the user submitted ones should be free. The 'pay for route' concept still works in this format.

TR aspect probably will happen this spring.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby TWorth » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:29 pm

Good idea on the reports, I'd be willing to contribute a few. I haven't been doing writeups of my hikes lately, as there are already many very good 14er/13er/12er reports at 14erworld and elsewhere, and I find I often don't have anything new to add. Same thing with the county HP trip reports at cohp.org. LOJ would be a great place for reports on prominent peaks or lower peaks where it's sometimes hard to find good information.
TWorth

Postby John Kirk » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:45 pm

I was curious how long it would take to roll this out, so I started coding. The peak profiles list now has a link to submit a trip report for that peak. The input supports full html between body tags if you want to include pictures or files or fancy text effects/fonts. I put up a couple while scripting to make sure it is working - click on the 'Trip Reports' link for ex: "2006-03-04 - JohnKirk":

http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=63

http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=436

http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=566

The side benefit to this is this automates my trip report writing and will help with the backlog.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Layne Bracy » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:19 am

John Kirk wrote:TR aspect probably will happen this spring.

Looks like spring came early!

I've added reports for Rabbit Mtn and Cooper/Ruby.

Question: What html is needed to similate the "RETURN" key? My reports both were squashed into one paragraph with extra lines of spacing removed.

Thanks!
Layne Bracy

Postby John Kirk » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:22 pm

I forgot to come up with a way to parse hared returns and spaces. The board here does it, so I can probably just copy some code. In the meantime:

<br/> is the tag for Line Break. To insert a blank line, put in two tags - <br/><br/>. Just put it in after each paragraph. I'll fix up the ones you posted.

One quick way to tell how some appearances come about is to right click the page and select "view source". Most of what I put together is in tables, so I often don't use line breaks.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:26 am

The line break is automatic now without the <br/> tags. I will be adding a checkbox for posting reports in html vs. normal. Pasting html has an undesired effect because of this change unless there are no line breaks in the source text (just about impossible unless you mean to remove them), so the script needs to handle the two instances differently.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Added functions

Postby John Kirk » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:39 am

This add-on has a lot of useful functionality added on now. Most important, you can edit reports from the report itself after it is entered (edit button at bottom). Reports are now password secured so only the user submitting can edit them. This will ensure the report looks how you want it, and you can always change/add on to them.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Layne Bracy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:11 pm

EDIT features are good!

Here's an idea:

On the peak profile lists, you have a column for "peak photo" with a little camera icon to indicate that a photo has been submitted for the peak.

Maybe there could be a separate column to indicate a trip report. Two options: 1)a paper icon to indicate at least one trip report 2)a number to indicate how many trip reports have been submitted.
Layne Bracy

Postby John Kirk » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:52 pm

LayneBracy wrote:ideas... a paper icon to indicate at least one trip report

How does it look now?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Layne Bracy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:17 pm

Perfect! I'll have to get on the ball and add some more.
Layne Bracy

Postby mikeofferman » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:52 am

I don't suppose we could have a way to view a list of trip reports that were recently added to the site?

Always looking for a way to live vicariously through others :-D
mikeofferman

Postby John Kirk » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:23 am

mikeofferman wrote:I don't suppose we could have a way to view a list of trip reports that were recently added to the site?

How's this?:

http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/NewTR.php
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby mikeofferman » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:39 am

Exactly!! Thanks
mikeofferman

Return to Lists in the Works