Colorado Quadrangle Stats

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Colorado Quadrangle Stats

Postby John Kirk » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:52 pm

For those not aware, we are in the process of ranking every peak in CO quad by quad. Currently, we can view all ranked peaks over 10,999' by quadrangle grouping with peak detail and maps, quadrangle completion progress, and summary statistics. Here is a link to the CO quads area:
http://listsofjohn.com/Quads/Colorado/COQuadIndex.php
I will release the 10ers list next, and will take on the rest as one grouping with assistance. I have some other goodies to share soon - stay tuned.
Last edited by John Kirk on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Layne Bracy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:45 pm

Nice work, John.

Here's another idea - how about a nearest peaks function?

The user enters a lat/long(such as their home, summer vacation spot, etc.) and then sees the nearest peaks and mileage. This could be either the closest 10 peaks, 100 peaks, etc. or all peaks within 10mi, 25mi, etc. It would be useful for vacations, when people aren't as familiar with the area, but also fun to see which are the closest peaks to home left to do.

For purposes of comparative stats, the site could display the radius of the greatest circle centered at home for which someone has completed all the peaks.

e.g. John Doe has completed all peaks within 13.4 miles from home.

I'd probably count the radius as the distance to the most distant peak completed in the circle, as opposed to the distance to the first uncompleted peak.

If there are concerns about someone's home lat/long being public, this info could either be hidden, limited to something like 2 decimal degrees of lat/long, or both.
Layne Bracy

Postby John Kirk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:12 pm

I suppose this gives plains dwellers an unfair advantage, but the mileage idea is interesting and I have been thinking about applying it for some other purposes as well. I'll need to research coordinate->distance calculators.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Layne Bracy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:36 pm

John Kirk wrote:I suppose this gives plains dwellers an unfair advantage

True, although I would gladly trade that advantage for the advantage of living closer to the mountains!

A way to neutralize the plains advantage would be to make the stat:

John Doe has completed the nearest 38 peaks to home

but I'd suggest at least listing the mileage also for fun
Layne Bracy

Postby John Kirk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:23 pm

And here it is ($Lat/Long1 and $Lat/Long2 in DD.DDD):

3963.191 * ACOS((SIN(PI()*$Lat1/180)*SIN(PI()*$Lat2/180)) + (COS(PI()*$Lat1/180)*COS(PI()*$Lat2/180)*COS(PI()*$Long1/180-PI()*$Long2/180)))

I'll put in a field later that will show up after log-in for members to enter lat/long and then distances can calculate specific to the user.

Here's the distance calculator as a module on its own I scripted.
Last edited by John Kirk on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:51 pm

Do y'all need some help with this? I could take a county, or a grouping of quads... however you're divying up the work.
RyanSchilling

Postby John Kirk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:07 pm

Thanks for offering. Any Sub-10k counties are open, or I could give you a list of quads you don't need to look at for any counties. Layne has completed Douglas and is working on Jefferson, and I'm fairly certain Gerry's Boulder County List is bullet-proof. We'll need to have a more in-depth discussion with Tim Worth as to his progress with northwestern Counties.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:08 pm

I'll start in the SW. Montezuma and La Plata counties? Which information are you collecting for each peak?

Are you compiling named, unranked peaks?
RyanSchilling

Postby John Kirk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:41 pm

RyanSchilling wrote:I'll start in the SW. Montezuma and La Plata counties? Which information are you collecting for each peak?

Name
Elevation
Quadrangle
Saddle Elevation (lower of interpolated or printed)
Range
Peak Coords (UTM or DD.DDD)
Saddle Coords (UTM or DD.DDD)
Prominence Parent

The rest is automated (UTM/DD.DDD conversions, Prominence, Topozone links, Proximate Parent, Miles).

Here are the quads you won't need to check:

Elk Creek
Emerald Lake
La Plata
Mountain View Crest
Rio Grande Pyramid
Snowdon Peak
Storm King Peak
Wallace Ranch

I've been including all named summits and features that can be considered summits (if it is a named closed contour) and soft-ranked peaks.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

The quadrangles map

Postby John Kirk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:43 pm

Here is the image I've edited to show the quadrangle boundaries which will soon be incorporated with the database to retrieve the peak detail:
Attachments
COGridded2.jpg
COGridded2.jpg (319.79 KiB) Viewed 7326 times
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:13 pm

You did a good job with that base map, John.

About the prominence parent, how are you determining that? Nearest more prominent peak? Nearest more prominent peak while sticking to ridgelines?
RyanSchilling

Postby Layne Bracy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:32 pm

Ryan, I've been determining the parent peak by starting at the key saddle and then running the ridgelines to the next ranked peak, losing as little elevation as necessary en route. No sidehilling allowed. At times the ridges are not too clear - I just eyeball it the best I can.

As I understand it, the parent must be higher and ranked but is not necessarily more prominent than the child. For example, Buffalo Peak is parent to the more prominent Green Mountain.

John will compute the nearest higher peak based purely on horizontal distance. As seen on his 11ers list, this is often the parent peak, but sometimes not.

John(and all), the Jefferson list is getting close and will include parents. Once that is done I will repent of my slothfulness and determine the parents for Douglas. :oops:
Layne Bracy

Postby John Kirk » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:31 pm

RyanSchilling wrote:You did a good job with that base map, John.

About the prominence parent, how are you determining that? Nearest more prominent peak? Nearest more prominent peak while sticking to ridgelines?

Thanks,
I've been choosing the prominence parent as the closest higher ranked peak from the highest connecting saddle. In other words, a closer peak is not the prominence parent unless it also has the least drop of all candidates. This is not to be confused with the peak having the next greater prominence. In cases of equal elevation saddles, I'm choosing the closest by distance. Equal distance (highly unlikely), then higher of the two peaks. If equal saddles, distance, and parent candidate elevations, then whichever has the closer then higher parent itself. I'll refrain from rambling further. :-D
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:50 pm

Just trying to suss this out... This is different from Roach's parent in that Roach chooses the nearest higher peak as the bird flies. Your parent is the nearest higher peak following ridgelines, is that right?

Using this page as a guideline, it sounds like you're describing the Line Parent, not the Prominence Parent? Or am I missing something? He calls PP the nearest, higher, more prominent line parent.
RyanSchilling

Postby Layne Bracy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:08 pm

Ryan, that sounds correct.

Referring to John's 11ers list, his "Parent" is the Line Parent(NHN300), as defined in your link. He also lists the Nearest Higher Peak, which Roach calls the "Parent".

It seems that by taking the Line Parent(NHN300) list all the way to Aconcagua, you can then get the Prominence Parent(as defined in the link) list by simply eliminating all peaks in the chain which do not have more prominence than the ones before them.

For our lists then, we are giving John the Line Parent, and he will compute the Nearest Higher Peak(as the crow flies).

The concept of Island Parent is new to me - I'll have to let that one roll around my brain a little. :shock:
Layne Bracy

Next

Return to Lists in the Works