Peaks by USGS Quadrangle

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Re: Peaks by USGS Quadrangle

Postby John Kirk » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:11 pm

John Prater wrote:
LayneBracy wrote:How about a map of Colorado broken into USGS quads? ... You can then click on any quad to get its peak list.

Have you seen this map for Washington state? Yes, something similar for Colorado would be very cool!

I found the same format map for CO here:
http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/states/co%5F0.html

I think I'm going to use a variant of this one, however.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:36 pm

Did you guys click the 1895 map off that link of John's. Look how big Arapahoe County used to be! There was no Adams County, and Washington and Yuma counties were much smaller. Jefferson County used to reach further south all the way to Lake George. Also, note the lack of Alamosa County and Costilla and Conejos counties' old borders.

And then there's the mountain nomenclature issues. It calls Sawatch the Saguache Mtns, the Mosquito the Park Range, and the Gore Range it calls Gores Range. Instead of the eastern Williams Fork Mountains, they were known as the Williams Range. Instead of the western Williams Fork Mountains were the Williams River Mountains.

In the NW, there's some interesting names. The Danforth Hills are marked as reaching all the way to Sleepy Cat Peak and surroundings, while the Flat Tops go by the name White River Plateau. There's some more names there that I hadn't seen before: Escalante Hills, Yampa Plateau, Roan Brook Plateau, Yampah Plateau.

Some of the elevations are interesting, too. Longs Peak almost has the correct elevation, but Holy Cross was estimated to be 14,176' tall!

Some of the existing mountain passes are fascinating, too. In the Sawatch, this map shows Hagerman, Williams, and Marshall passes to be the only ones crossing the range.

Looking SE, Two Buttes used to be called Twin Buttes. Can anyone tell me what this mystery mountain, Volcanic Mountain is? On this map, it clearly lies west of Mesa de Maya in between Trinchera and Chacuaco creeks. Maybe Davis, Brown, or Negro mesas?
Last edited by RyanSchilling on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RyanSchilling

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:38 pm

Also, I'm not sure what that rainbow-colored imagery is about on that Washington map. Far preferable, IMO, are some of the images at NASA's Visible Earth: http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=2302

John, I like the one you found, too. It looks like the same source that Aaron Maizlish used for his 2K' prominence maps.
RyanSchilling

Previous

Return to Lists in the Works