Hiking Bison Peak from Ute Creek TH

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Hiking Bison Peak from Ute Creek TH

Postby Tjohn » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:55 am

I'm planning to hike Bison Peak from Ute Creek TH in July 2013. And while there, if I'm up to it, possibly visit McCurdy Mtn also.

I have a topo map of the route as well as Gerry Roach's Lost Creek Wilderness book. But I was wondering what other people's own experiences were on this route.
Anything in particular to watch for or avoid? Whatever you can share would be appreciated. Thanks

Tjohn
Tjohn
Tjohn

Re: Hiking Bison Peak from Ute Creek TH

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:52 am

The hike to Bison Peak is pretty straight-forward: The first five miles are on trail, and when that ends at Bison Arm, you just head north-northeast - around the right side of the rock pile, up and over a narrow pass, and then up the slope - for less than a mile to the summit. I topped out in a white-out a couple of months ago, and was still able to find the highpoint with no issues. There's an ammo box on top that serves as a register, and spectacular views in all directions. The only advice I have is to bring plenty of water, especially if you're going in July. It's 11.8 miles and 3,900' of elevation gain roundtrip, and no water past Ute Creek, which you'll cross at 1.7 miles.

I haven't done McCurdy yet!
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Re: Hiking Bison Peak from Ute Creek TH

Postby Tjohn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks, I appreciate your input. This will be very helpful. Looking forward to this hike in July!
Tjohn
Tjohn

Return to Colorado Peaks