13er stats (what we haven't done)

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

13er stats (what we haven't done)

Postby John Kirk » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:58 pm

Ever wonder how many peaks someone (including yourself) have left of the centennials, bicentennials, tris? What about 13ers left in each range?

Here is what you get when you select a member from the 13ers Member Are and click on the "See their unclimbed 13ers" button. Other areas have a similar feature with less detail about ranges and etcetera:
Attachments
untitled1.jpg
A suggestion from someone who will go unnamed...
untitled1.jpg (75.15 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:26 pm

Nifty John, you went further than expected with that.
Lets see, what else would be nice...............
DSunwall

Postby Layne Bracy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:52 pm

How about a feature that lets me click on any list, such as "Gore Range 13ers", and it then suggests the most efficient routes for me to finish that list, including time of year to attempt various hikes?!

If not, I'll settle for the ranked 11ers.

Seriously, the changes are tres cool!!
Layne Bracy

11ers...

Postby John Kirk » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:36 am

How about a feature that lets me click on any list, such as "Gore Range 13ers", and it then suggests the most efficient routes for me to finish that list, including time of year to attempt various hikes?!

You have a healthy sense of humor Layne, but I didn't see any emoticons :wink: . If you'd like to gather the Beta, perhaps there is a way to organize it.

Eleveners might be appealing, especially this winter as things become more difficult. There is still some work to be done to figure out prominences and solidify that list - Bob Martin has done virtually all the peak finding, published at Gerry's site.

I'm currently ranking New Mexico's Peaks (probably will stop at 10k peaks), though I don't think anyone here shares the enthusiasm or sentiment for that state's mountains.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: 11ers...

Postby Layne Bracy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:46 pm

I'm currently ranking New Mexico's Peaks (probably will stop at 10k peaks), though I don't think anyone here shares the enthusiasm or sentiment for that state's mountains.

John: I think this is a nice idea. Anyone interested in western peaks in general would be interested in the highest peaks in each states - Wyoming's 13ers, Utah's 13ers, Idaho's 12ers, etc. This will also allow the site to attract more non-Colorado hikers. Some states are a little more lonely at the top(NM, NV, WA, OR), but the list could be extended downward some, as you mention for NM.

Then there are the prominence lists for other states....
Layne Bracy

More bells and whistles...

Postby John Kirk » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:34 pm

I added additional drill-down detail for unclimbed 13ers - the elevation and range counts are now buttons that you can click to see what peaks are remaining in descending elevation for those categories. Perhaps this is just overwhelmingly geeky, but I find it useful for tracking progress on the foremost peak list I'm now working on - Front Range 13ers.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Layne Bracy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:14 pm

I like it - of course, that only reinforces that it is, in fact, geeky! (The Front Range ranked 13ers list is also the list I think I'm most likely to complete in the next couple years.)
Layne Bracy

Return to Colorado Peaks