The Cleaver - RMNP

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

The Cleaver - RMNP

Postby jmbrooks8 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:20 am

The Cleaver is currently listed as 12220 ft. located at 40.2171°N, 105.6712°W.

However, when following all the route (Lisa Foster's and Gerry Roach's RMNP books) descriptions, let alone the pictures, one is led further South along the CD to the pinnacle just North of Isolation Pk's technical N Ridge. This pinnacle seems to match the route beta (cap rock, overhanging W side, Class 3 ledges, etc.). The location of this summit according to my GPS (took 2 waypts at diff times) is 40.2160°N, 105.6714°W. This point seems to land on the 12200+ contour of the Iso Pk N Ridge. There seems to be no topo prominence indicated either. Clearly the topo is wrong, because there is definitely ~100 ft. of prom on N & S sides of this pinnacle. From this summit, it is also visibly higher than the listed 12220 location.

The topo clearly shows "The Cleaver" adjacent to the 12220 location, but the map also seems to miss this entire other last gendarme. So which location is the true Cleaver? Again, all other published info seems to point to this new coord.

Using an Etrex 20 (little more accurate GPS these days), just some other info to help: when I summited the 12220 location, my highest GPS track reading was 12208 ft. Then when I went further South, the low pt of the saddle read 12107 ft. Then the highest reading at the new summit location read 12260 ft.

BTW - the current image here matches the new coord location.
jmbrooks8

Return to Colorado Peaks