Waugh Mountain

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Re: Waugh Mountain

Postby PaulStratmoen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks for all the info Tim!

It would have been great to run into you on Waugh last Sunday. We had set out again towards Waugh early Sunday morning, but between the wind that we encountered in South Park and how crappy I was feeling, we turned around. Ended up doing Legault Mtn. (yet again) on the way home, and then I spent most of the remainder of the day in bed.

We've met up or had near misses with a few LOJ people over the years while climbing obscure summits. Last year, we ran into the Kalet/Knapp team in Chaffee County, and later in the day, the four of us ran into Kirk Mallory. We missed Teresa by one day two weekends ago on 11526 near Del Norte. Had a close encounter with Ken Nolan in the Puma Hills - saw his (rather large and fairly fresh) footprints in the snow and entries in the registers, but not him.

Good news about the lack of hunting activity in the area. :-D They were thick in the area south of Del Norte two weekends ago. I was afraid that the Waugh Mountain area would be like that.
PaulStratmoen

Re: Waugh Mountain

Postby Steve Knapp » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:08 am

Hi Paul,

We didn't see any hunters either but did see two ATVs parked on the west side of Loco in the Loco Mtn Outfitters area. Apparently you can pay 3-4 g's for a guided 5-day hunt around there, with good success predicted. Guess thats a deal compared to the Cielo Vista ranch or other spots. I expected to see more hunters as well.

http://www.locomountainoutfitters.com

The road east from Waugh starts out fine but gets progressively worse to get up between the two summits of Dead BM. If you want to drive as far as possible take the jeep, but you'll really only need it for the last mile of the drive. If you take the Subaru just ditch it along the road when it starts getting rough and do a longer hike.

Tim so I guess it wasn't you we saw at a campsite near N Ryder/9917. It was a man and a woman (not hunters), didn't know who else would be out there on such a cold morning. Your motel was a good choice, it got down to 8 degrees that night. Brr. The Muddy Pass peaks went well from a large pullout on the north side of Hwy 14 just east of Muddy Pass. There's a strip of BLM there to get started north to 9274. The creek crossing could be problematic depending on time of year but there were beaver dams we used to cross. Bear and Diamond were really nice peaks, saw a herd of elk below Bear Peak complete with a daytime bugling bull. This was the weekend before the first rifle season, we would not have done those in hunting season.
Steve Knapp

Previous

Return to Colorado Peaks