Notchtop Mtn

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Notchtop Mtn

Postby jmbrooks8 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:13 am

In Lisa Foster's book, she refers to the spot elev 12129 as Notch Spire (prom 109), and Notchtop Mtn as the 12160+ (elev 12180, prom 80) hp of the ridge. The Notchtop Mtn ridge route is rated Class 4, and then getting over to Notch Spire an even trickier Class 4. It is obvious from the topo that the 12129 spot is a spire and not a mtn, and since the spire is not the hp, should probaby lead to separating the two.

LOJ currently lists the Notch Spire pt. Given numerous ascents here, has everyone gone over to the Spire or just the ridge hp?

John - can you list both pts?
jmbrooks8

Re: Notchtop Mtn

Postby John Kirk » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:51 am

There is definitely some controversy around where the HP is.

RMNP itself claims the 12,129 spot elevation:
http://www.rmnp.com/RMNP-Areas-BearLakeRoad-GlacierBasinCampgrounds.HTML

Gerry's long-established RMNP guide describes the route to the 12,129 summit, and lists it as such here:
http://www.climb.mountains.com/Project_Island_files/CO_Range_RMNP.shtml
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:13 pm

Ive had the same question myself, I think separating the two would be natural. I know its not always the case(see Notchtops neighbor The Gable) but the highpoint on the mountain is simply deemed the summit while anything lower kinda has to be its own thing, if only by convention.

And since its tough going from the HP to the Spire, the two really become different summits if you know what I mean. Traversing between the two is an undertaking, not just a little jaunt between summit candidates like a class 2 mountain. I know that point doesn't really add anything to whether the HP should be listed or not, but its something to consider. I personally refer to 12160+ as Notchtop Mountain and 12129 as Notchtop Spire.

If anyone here has climbed it, is there a register on both or just the HP? If I had to guess, Id say most people go to the HP since it just feels like 'the summit'.
ChrisRoberts

Postby jmbrooks8 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Two quotes from Mountain Project:
1) "If you value your life, DO NOT summit the spire! It is composed entirely of loose, fractured blocks which could (indeed have) easily give way at any moment." - from main Notchtop pg.
2) "Enjoy the summit of the spire. It is very small and very cool." - from 5.4 Spiral Route pg.

From the pics, the Class 4 route to the spire looks deathly exposed & loose. From those that have climbed to the Spire, is this safe to do w/o rope? Is it protectable? I can't find any beta on this last route piece. Makes me wonder how many go from the HP to the Spire. Even the rock routes don't have the Spire summit as the main goal.

John - even though RMNP link 12129 & Notchtop Mtn in the same phrase, from all other evidence here (at this site) that does not imply the spot indicates the Mtn's summit or even the main feature.

If the HP is your typical fun Class 4 ridge jaunt from the CD, but the Spire is a roped effort from the notch coming from either the CD or below, then it seems worthy to separate the two goals.

It would be great if someone could post some beta on the final route section...
jmbrooks8

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:14 pm

jmbrooks8 wrote:From the pics, the Class 4 route to the spire looks deathly exposed & loose. From those that have climbed to the Spire, is this safe to do w/o rope? Is it protectable? I can't find any beta on this last route piece. Makes me wonder how many go from the HP to the Spire. Even the rock routes don't have the Spire summit as the main goal.

Brian Crim(saxmotor) posted a great TR earlier this year with helpful pictures. If you havent seen it, here you are: http://www.brianinthewild.com/notchtop-spiral---ptarmigan-point---flattop---hallett.html
ChrisRoberts

Postby jmbrooks8 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Ahh - very nice TR.
jmbrooks8

Return to Colorado Peaks