S.10 - Dallas Divide

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

S.10 - Dallas Divide

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:43 am

Has anyone accessed S.10 from any other route other than the Deep Creek drainage that does not violate private property? I'm thinking mainly from the assortment of roads/trails on the north & NW side of the divide.
Beaten paths are for beaten men.
ClimbingCooneys

Re: S.10 - Dallas Divide

Postby Furthermore » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:31 am

Yes it can be approached from Last Dollar Road from the west. Even a trail for the first portion of the climb. This is taken from my trip report.

"Starting Trailhead: Alder Creek Trail from Last Dollar Road."

"My wife and I found an excellent camping spot near the Alder Creek Trailhead off of Last Dollar Road and I set the alarm for 5:15 AM. It wasn't too brutal and I slept in a bit since the weather forecast was supposed to be perfect. After some breakfast, I was hiking down the Alder Creek Trail at 5:40 AM. Unfortunately, I lost about 100-200 feet elevation on the trail but the trail was easy to follow as it contoured around the western side of the Sneffels Range at ~10,400.

The level approach was nice for a change but it only made for a really steep climb. Unfortunately, the trees were thick and it was hard to determine the best place to climb up to the ridge. I did my best guess and started climbing upward. As soon as I was out of the trees, I found some problematic cliffs and I was beginning to wonder if this western approach was a bad idea.

After some scouting around, I found a weakness in the cliffs and was able to find a mellow section that took me to the ridge. Surprisingly, it wasn't a pile of junky San Juan talus and the climbing was rather enjoyable. I reached the ridge and headed north towards the unranked 12ver Hayden Peak. I was planning on climbing directly up the west face of Hayden Peak, but from the ridge I could tell that it was a talus mess and was thankful that my route worked out well.

I skirted around the south face of Hayden Peak to the Hayden - "S 10" saddle and proceeded up the class 2 northwest ridge of "S 10" where I arrived on the summit at 9:00 AM. The views to the west expanded for miles. I quickly descended down the east ridge and avoided some small towers to the south."

The full report can be found http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include
Furthermore

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks for the reply, "Furthermore." Took a while before anyone with some idea responded this time, but we still haven't gone yet, so the info will still help us.
If you have a chance, could you please mention, describe or name which map you have that shows this "Alder Trail" from the Last Dollar Road?
ClimbingCooneys

Postby markott » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:19 pm

I climbed S 10 recently by going up the Deep creek road which turns into the Last Dollar road. I drove up from HWY 145 for about 11 miles until I came to The Whipple Trail head. I followed this trail up for about a mile then turned North & skirted 12,311 and accessed the ridge to S 10. The ridge was tough in places but it was only 2 miles to the summit. Real nice trail from S 10 over to S 9 and easy over to S 8 . :-P :-P
markott

Postby DaveLanders » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:53 pm

My old Uncompahgre NF map shows the Alder Trail, but I don't think it is shown correctly.
There are a couple of San Juan Hut system huts back in there; their info should show that
trail. I haven't hiked it, but I have driven over Last Dollar Pass, and I think the trailhead
was well marked.
DaveLanders

Postby Furthermore » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:36 am

The National Geographic, "The Trails Illustrated Map," 141, shows the Alder Creek Trail (510). It is located off of the Last Dollar Road. The trailhead is well marked.
Furthermore

Postby Mike Garratt » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:29 pm

S 10 is a nice climg from the N too.
Drive into Box Factory Park.
Take the Dallas trail W till you get N of Hayden Pk.
There are old mining roads going S till it get steep and then good elk trails to treeline.
Go up the N ridge of Hayden and along the ridge to S 10.
Mike Garratt

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:56 am

Mike,
On the route from the north you describe, it appeared that there might be some private property issues. Did you run into anything - warnings, etc.? Can you describe what road(s) you took in?
ClimbingCooneys

Postby Mike Garratt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:36 am

No access issues. FS road to Box Factory Park.
Mike Garratt

Return to Colorado Peaks