"Winiger Peak" Name ?

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

"Winiger Peak" Name ?

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:04 pm

:?: When we were up there, we found an OLD register from '93 indicating this as "Magnolia Mtn" (presumably, since it is off of Magnolia Road). Where did the informal "Winiger Peak" come from? Which "name" should supercede?
Attachments
Magnolia.jpg
Jeremy Hakes

Postby John Kirk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Looks like a question for Gerry, but the obvious answer is it is close to Winiger Ridge and is a peak while the ridge is not. Gerry's list is public knowledge and more/less "in print". Magnolia is probably not to be found anywhere else (I think it is a rogue name, regardless of how old it is). The correction of the elevation on the paper is kind of funny, because it was originally correct.

Anyway, I can put in as an alternate name (see its profile):
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=4147
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:42 pm

True dat. I can certainly understand both ways ("Winiger" is the parent of Winiger Ridge (official USGS), so..) Any idea which came first, Gerry? Your naming, or the "Magnolia Mtn" in '93?

On another note, Gerry, do you have a link somewhere indicating where your "names" appear? I would be interested to read the history thereof.

Thanks!

John - will the alternate name show up in a search string? And are there others in the database? (I don't recall seeing any).
Jeremy Hakes

Postby John Kirk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:24 pm

There are probably a dozen or so CO peaks, hundreds of WA peaks (the reason it was implemented). The alternate names are currently not tied into searches -something to add at some point.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby lukePlumley » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:38 am

Howard Pomranka of Estes Park put up that register. He and Paula Edwards seem to make a habit of naming their unnamed peaks for registers. Near Estes they have also named "Walton Peak" and "Sullivan Point" using their own creativity. I don't think any of these names are really legitimate. they just do it for fun, I think.
lukePlumley

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:14 am

lukePlumley wrote: I don't think any of these names are really legitimate. they just do it for fun, I think.

Isn't that part of the point, though? Over time, they do become legit by common usage or old USGS maps, etc. Whether they are "named" by locals or by Gerry Roach or by Howard or whomever. Obviously, they are not binding, but common usage is worth noting. :)

FWIW, this is one of the oldest registers I've seen at 16+ years, with only 15 signees or so.
Jeremy Hakes

Postby Mike Garratt » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:54 pm

That is why Bob and I decided to use only USGS Board of Geographic Names for our 13er lists. Who's do decide who's name is "The One"?
The person that named it first or the one with the best name or the one that just left it the way he found it, Unnamed.
Mike Garratt

Postby cftbq » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:58 am

Jeremy Hakes wrote:FWIW, this is one of the oldest registers I've seen at 16+ years, with only 15 signees or so.

We recently came upon an informal register placed in the spring of 1980. I forgot to take a picture of it, but Susan has one.
"from mountains high, I gained strength for my soul" --Dave Cousins
cftbq

Return to Colorado Peaks