UN 7855 JeffCo - "Tin Cup" (Peak? Mountain? Hill?

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

UN 7855 JeffCo - "Tin Cup" (Peak? Mountain? Hill?

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:46 am

From Ken Caryl Open Space's website, this peak is identified as "Tin Cup (Hill, I think)"

here's the link:

http://www.ken-carylranch.org/InnerPage.asp?pk=98&sse=4

Here's how they identify it:

Manor House Trail and surroundings – Private, Residents Only.

Length: 2.3 miles from Manor House parking lot to top.
Effort: Strenuous

Features: The trail, which also doubles as a service road, starts at the historic Manor House which was built in 1914 by the cattle baron and newspaper publisher, John Shaffer. From the Manor House the trail crosses a large prairie dog colony before ascending steeply into the foothills. The bottom half of the trail traverses open side slopes that offer dramatic views of Chatfield Basin to the southeast. Further up, vast Gambel oak shrublands provide a colorful landscape in the fall. From the top near the picnic shelter, other trails continue on to Tin Cup (the highest point on Ken-Caryl Ranch at 7,855 feet), Little John's Chimney and Beacon Hill. Little John's Chimney is all that remains of a hunting cabin used by John Shaffer. On the summit of Beacon Hill, one can see a metal flag pole that John Shaffer used to signal friends and staff at the Manor House. For a different experience, consider a loop back to the Valley by connecting with Bradford Trail via Tin Cup or Beacon Hill Trails. One can also return to the Valley via Shaffer and Lost Canyon Trails. Wildlife viewing includes mule deer, elk, blue grouse, wild turkey, Abert’s squirrels and coyotes.
Jeremy Hakes

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:32 am

John - do you think it is worth putting in the Notes: section about where the names came from (when they are available?) I can provide the references (old USGS maps, books, etc.) for the ones I'm aware of. :?:
Jeremy Hakes

Postby John Kirk » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:18 pm

I think for now I'd rather not...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to Colorado Peaks