Hunts Peak

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Hunts Peak

Postby DSunwall » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:10 pm

My National Geographic Trails Illustrated map shows Hunts Peak at 13701', had me confused for awhile, could not find it in the 13er list here because I was looking for something in that elevation range. Finally found it at 13071', I see the USGS Quad has it correct. Looks like another fine Sangre De Cristo summit. The only one from this site who has done it is Kirk Mallory.
Kirk, where did you start your approach for this peak?
DSunwall

Postby kirkmallory » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:11 pm

Yeah, that's a major typo. I did this from the west November 2003. I'm sure it would be very doable now if you guys successfully made it up Bushnell & Twin Sisters. I approached via an old road that goes up South Rock Creek, then bushwhacked steeply up to the N-NW spur ridge that meets the main west ridge at Point 12,100 (12,080+). I came down more directly over Pt. 12,042, then bushwhacked down the slopes almost directly to my car. It was just over 4 hours. Not sure how late Fall snow compares to early Spring, so you might end up walking the road a little further than I did (I drove to the edge of the forest). I can't remember exactly how I drove here - I just used the TI map and the Gazeteer and figured it out after making a few wrong turns. I think I left the highway at Alder (?) (I don't remember much of anything there), and I do remember having to open & close a gate shortly after leaving the highway. Hope this helps!
kirkmallory

Postby DSunwall » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:22 pm

Thanks for the info.

I saw Alder show up on my GPS last weekend, looked around and did not see building one!
DSunwall

Return to Colorado Peaks