Poison Spring Hill, Black Canyon National Park HP

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Poison Spring Hill, Black Canyon National Park HP

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:28 pm

Anyone have any beta on this one? Looking to get it this weekend. Thanks!

Jeremy
Jeremy Hakes

Postby TWorth » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:47 pm

Jeremy:

Here is what my notes say:

--

Wanted to do Poison Spring Hill from BLM lands to NE, but ran into locked gates from that direction. Instead came in from N via CR D77, took this S until reaching a private elk farm. Used a fair BLM road around the E edge of the ranch, then turned right(S) on a barely driveable dirt track to a dead end next to fenceline, 2.5 miles N of the summit. Hiked S along a newer fence to point about .5 miles N of the HP. Easy walk from there. Found BM and reference mark. Back just after sunset. RT 5 miles, 2.5hrs 1000ft gain.

--

Looking at the topo again, I recall parking here:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=38. ... ayer=DRG25

A west approach from inside the NP might be another option. It must be insanely hot there now, best bet is to go early morning or evening.

-Tim
TWorth

Thanks, Tim!

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:38 pm

Thanks, Tim. I am hoping to do it from inside the park (we bought an annual pass). It looks like we can park close to the ranger station and hike a "trail" that exists on the maps, heading mostly east and not really gaining much elevation. Some sort of short distance, low gainer. I'm sure it will be stiflingly hot - forecast is for upper 90's at 9k'!!! :shock: So that should be great. I'll write a TR/update when I get back. Hoping to get several easy Delta County ranked ones this weekend. Should be fun!

Jeremy
Jeremy Hakes

Return to Colorado Peaks