Name the peaks

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Name the peaks

Postby DSunwall » Wed May 02, 2007 11:52 am

The lists have many unnamed peaks, they are hard to remember and less inspiring to climb without names. Gerry Roach has picked up many local names and named a few himself I believe.

What do you think about putting names to all the other unnamed peaks?

I started a post called “names” under Other Colorado Mtns. On 14W, and got a few good responses. Kane came up with a good list of local names from one of Lou Dawson’s books, I suspect there may be other books out there with local names for the unnamed peaks, it may be worth a search to try find some of them.

Since LOJ has become what I think is the premier list site it would be cool to add names for at least the 13ers, maybe work down from there. It may be a little difficult to organize this so everyone is OK with all the names but it would be fun to make a stab at it.

Any comments from anyone on this?
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Thu May 03, 2007 8:51 am

Not to detract from the idea, because I think it is a good one, but I actually prefer the lack of names. Unnamed peaks are likely more obscure/less known and therefore one has a better chance of having a different experience and being "in the wilderness".
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby TWorth » Sun May 06, 2007 9:49 pm

Naming the remaining 13ers is a good idea as there are probably enough folks out doing those peaks that the names could have some staying power.

Not as many are interested in the lower peaks so its a bit harder develop a consensus for names. Ormes 6th edition lists a number of unofficial names in the Rawah Range, but I've never seen them used anywhere else.

Sometimes unoffical names can cause confusion. I did UN 12308 in RMNP a few years ago. One register entry called this "Seattle Peak". Another entry called it something else. So what is it? With UN 12308 at least its clear which peak is being referred to. Also, there is the remoteness/obscurity angle John mentions. For these reason I'm fine with leaving most of the lower stuff unnamed.
TWorth

Return to Colorado Peaks