Ridgeline from Birthday Peak to Mt. Harvard

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Ridgeline from Birthday Peak to Mt. Harvard

Postby longranger » Mon May 03, 2021 3:52 pm

I'm planning to hike the ridge between Birthday Peak and Mt. Harvard later this year, but I haven't found any info about this being done before. Any first-hand beta? Looks quite intimidating from Horn Fork Basin.

Link to the map of Birthday Peak:

https://listsofjohn.com/mapf?lat=38.881 ... 15&d=y&d=r
longranger

Re: Ridgeline from Birthday Peak to Mt. Harvard

Postby longranger » Fri May 21, 2021 4:07 pm

Here's an additional photo - this is the ridge line you'll see if you're looking towards Bear Lake, in the Horn Fork Basin:

omg.jpg

It's not very pretty. Any photos from the Lake Rebecca side? It should look absolutely incredible.
longranger

Postby longranger » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:21 pm

Just to wrap this up, I was up there yesterday, and it was far looser and more dangerous than one could imagine (and believe me, I've seen some choss in my days). I found an old rap anchor made from a piece of bleached webbing wrapped around a detached block with two untaped, unmarked carabiners at the first tower encountered where the ridge turns from heading northeast to north. I'm sure that if I could have continued, I'd find more on the towers that proceed it.
longranger

Postby Tom Pierce » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:33 pm

Hey Justin,

Just saw this. It sounds like you bailed off? Sounds prudent. Curious, how far long the ridge did you get?

-Tom
Tom Pierce

Postby longranger » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:42 pm

Sorry Tom, just saw this. Not too far at all - to around, 38.89264, -106.32161:

ss.jpg

I've recently done the Blaurock to La Plata traverse and found that rock although similar, quite a bit better. If I have time, I may go back out, and attack the ridge from the Harvard side of things,
longranger

Return to Colorado Peaks