peaks at quad intersection

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

peaks at quad intersection

Postby markhyams » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:21 pm

Back in 2002 I had a day when I climbed four ranked summits on four different quadrangles. They were at the intersection of Ward, Monarch Lake, Isolation Peak, and Allens Park, and the peaks were "Algonquin", "Coney Island", "Red Deer Mountain" and Sawtooth Mountain.

While not that impressive of a feat, I thought it was cool that the four peaks were on four quads. Has anyone else climbed four (or more) peaks on four different quads in one day? Is there another group of four that are as easy as these four? I did at brief search around, and I found a couple of groups of four that would be somewhat feasible, but only for the real hard folks (not me). I'm curious what others would come up with.

Cheers,
Mark
markhyams

Postby Layne Bracy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:29 pm

Well, the easiest way to do this would be through driving between TH's. It shouldn't be too hard to find 8 or more peaks on different quads in the foothills/Front Range that could be done with short hikes and driving to the next peak.

I'm guessing you didn't mean to allow a vehicle shuttle, though. I'll bet some of the endurance hikers have done more than 4 - possibly Cave Dog or the Nolan 14 folks.
Layne Bracy

Postby markhyams » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:32 pm

Yes, I suppose I do mean doing it without a vehicle shuttle. :)

Mark
markhyams

Postby Layne Bracy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:01 pm

From the Nolan 14 stats I saw on Matt Mahoney's site, I saw a max of peaks on 4 quads summitted in one day.

From the south, Shavano, Tabeguache, Antero, Princeton, and Yale in a day get 4 quads.

From the north, Massive, Elbert, La Plata, Huron, Missouri, Belford, Oxford also gets four quads. That's a quick analysis - maybe someone can find more starting the 24hr period at a different time.

However, Cave Dog came through on his continuous run through the Catskills. Within the first 24hrs, he stood atop 18 summits on SIX quads: Peekamoose Mtn, West Shokan, Pheonicia, Shandaken, Seager, and West Kill.

However, with 14K of gain over 56 miles, this might not be the easiest way to do it!

The key would be to find 2 adjacent quad intersections with peaks properly located. That way, mere mortals could do six also.
Layne Bracy

Postby markhyams » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:09 pm

LayneBracy wrote:From the south, Shavano, Tabeguache, Antero, Princeton, and Yale in a day get 4 quads.

Better yet, Shavano (Maysville), Tabeguache (St. Elmo), UN 13712 (Mount Antero) and Lost Mtn (Garfield) get you four quads, with less effort.

I have still to find an easier group of four than the ones mentioned in my original post.

That's some interesting trivia about the peaks out east.

Mark
markhyams

Postby Mike Garratt » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:11 pm

The most challeging 4 quad intersection in Colo I have spent time in covers NY Basin and Eolus Basin.

Quads:
Mtn View Crest
Snowdon Peak
Storm King Pk
Columbine Pass

You never need a camping reservation in NY Basin.
Gauranteed.

Mike
Mike Garratt

Return to Colorado Peaks