Black Ridge Canyons Wilderness HP Question

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Black Ridge Canyons Wilderness HP Question

Postby edevart » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi All - I'm new to the site, so please forgive me if this already has been discussed or if I'm just missing something, but I am curious why the HP of the Black Ridge Canyons Wilderness is listed here as being Black Ridge (7132') despite the fact that 7132' is topped by radio towers and other infrastructure and is clearly not within the Black Ridge Canyons Wilderness because of that fact (the boundary was draw to cut out those human impacts). Shouldn't the BRC Wilderness HP be the seemingly unclimbed 5700' in Knowles Canyon? (And btw, pretty amazing that such a large wilderness area would only have one ranked peak)
edevart

Re: Black Ridge Canyons Wilderness HP Question

Postby KentonB » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm not an expert on this region, but based on what you're saying the high point of the wilderness would actually be ~7,060' (just NW of Black Ridge where the Wilderness boundary skirts it's NW slope).
KentonB

Postby John Kirk » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:13 pm

An oversight for sure. Here's the updated list/map:
https://listsofjohn.com/wilderness/gmapwild.php?M=None&W=72

Based on the satellite view of the road, I'd say the HP is 7020+20' as the boundary from wilderness.net overlaps the road a bit.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby edevart » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:58 am

Thanks John! Now back to trying to figure out how to make lists for my favorite National Monuments....
edevart

Return to Colorado Peaks