Obscure 12ers on Mt Jackson quad

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Obscure 12ers on Mt Jackson quad

Postby markhyams » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:25 pm

I was looking at the peaks 12,980, 12,977, and 12,973 , which are south of Strawberry Lakes, and was wondering if anyone knows any info on them, or has any pics. They sound like great peaks, from the Ormes book. Mike G. has climbed it (no surprise there), so Mike, it'd be great to hear from you.

Here is a topozone link (to 12980):
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&n= ... atum=nad83

Cheers,
Mark
markhyams

Postby Mike Garratt » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:04 pm

I had to pull my Mt. jackson quad to refresh my memory on these guys as it has been a long time since I visited these guys.

Been in there twice.

First time I came in from the east and camped by Missouri Lakes since I wanted to do a bunch of peaks.
Hiked the trail through the pass, countoured west and took the E ridge to 12977. The ridge to 12973 and 12980 is straight forward scramble.
You can go back the way you came. Or...
I descended NE from 12980 and countoured to the saddle S of 12695 and went N on the ridge to 12935. Returned to Blodgett Lake and went back to Missouri Lakes.

You can camp Blodgett Lake also but beware that COBS camps there and feeds the marmots. The marmots are very aggressive and will attack your tent while you are gone unless you pelt them with stones to get their fear of humans back.

The second time I came in from the SW up Last Chance Creek.
Went up to 12980 and did the ridge west to Avalanche Peak and came back via Tellurium Lake. This was a day hike so this may be a better approach if you do not want to backpack.

I have also been to Avalanche Peak from Woods Lake but this is a long approach the the three 12ers.

Mike
Mike Garratt

Return to Colorado Peaks