TOPO! mega file (you want this)

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

TOPO! mega file (you want this)

Postby markhyams » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:10 pm

For those of you that own the Colorado state version of the TOPO! software, i'm sharing here a file that I created that has color-coded flags on all the ranked (300' prominence) peaks in Colorado over 11,000 feet. This is some 1700+ peaks!

John Kirk has been kind enough to host the file on his server:
Topo File (119 Kb)

The flags are visible at all five map levels, and text has been added for unnamed peaks and peaks with unofficial names at the fifth level (closest), like, for example, the alphabet peaks of the Gore Range. The color coding is as follows:

Red: 14ers (the 54 CMC list, including El Diente and N Maroon, not including Challenger Point)
Yellow: the rest of the highest 100, including Challenger Point
Green: the rest of the highest 200
Blue: the rest of the 13ers
Purple: 12ers
Black: 11ers

In some cases the unnamed peaks have no elevation benchmark, and are just interpolated high points, which, I might add, took some detective work to find! I made this file mostly from the lists at Gerry Roach's website and a few other sources.

I find it useful for trips to a new area, to see what other ranked peaks are nearby. In some cases, it may lead you to areas that you would not have thought of otherwise.

Also, I'm not sure, but if you have another version of TOPO! that only covers a portion of the state, it may work with that as well, but obviously you would only be able to see the flags in the area for your software.

Here is a peek at what it looks like. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Mark
markhyams

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:49 pm

Thanks for making this file, Mark. I noticed a problem while working with it. UN 11,025 in the San Juans isn't on there, but you marked nearby unranked UN 11,020 instead.
RyanSchilling

Postby markhyams » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:44 pm

Oops. I guess there was bound to be one error. :)

Actually I found another: Point 13472 on the Winfield quad is marked and it shouldn't be. It is only a soft rank.
Here:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&n= ... atum=nad83

Cheers,
Mark
markhyams

Return to Colorado Peaks