Climbing Colorado's Mountains List

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Climbing Colorado's Mountains List

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:32 am

John,

Thanks for posting a list to all the summits in my new book: http://listsofjohn.com/clist?lid=1149

I expect there to be questions in regard to how I came up with the list, so here is some additional information:

(1) The summits all fall into one of three categories. From page 2 in the book:

(A) “The legally accessible highpoints of every major mountain range and subrange, major hills, mesas, plateaus, and sand dunes are represented, totaling 58 highpoints and comprising the first category.”

(B) “In the second category, major mountain passes are represented, with high trailheads and short approaches to the surrounding peaks… …Note that there are many more passes through Colorado’s mountains—not included in this book and accessed by rough road and trail—for you to discover as you expand your travel among the peaks.”

(C) “A handful of local favorites comprise the third category. These are popular peaks, climbed often by local residents, and representative of the diversity of Colorado summits.”

(2) I wrote the table of contents (and book proposal) in the summer of 2012, started researching and writing the book in the fall of that year, and completed the manuscript in November 2014. Although edits were made from 2014-2015 (I had to cut nearly 22,000 words from the original manuscript to meet the predefined format set forth by the publisher, and to satisfy my contract), there is some new information now available that did not make it into the final manuscript, or the printed copy. This includes:

(A) Gardner Benchmark (9286'/9290') in Garfield County was believed to be the highpoint of the Roan Cliffs, and the Roan Plateau. However, it has since been determined that Point 9300 to the northeast of the benchmark is higher, so if you want to reach the highpoint of the plateau, you can skip Gardner Benchmark (which is no longer listed as a summit on LoJ) and just shoot for 9300 instead: http://listsofjohn.com/peak/3826

(B) When I visited Fishers Peak Mesa, my GPS showed the elevation of a point west of the trail as slightly higher than that of the cairned summit east of the trail. I do not trust my GPS for determining exact elevations, and there is a good possibility that the eastern summit is actually higher. I note in my book to "tag both, to ensure your summit," and until the area is properly surveyed we may not know, but based on feedback from several sources the eastern point is likely the higher of the two.

(C) The Laramie Mountains Highpoint now has the unofficial name “Killpecker Mountain” and is listed as such on LoJ: http://listsofjohn.com/peak/2391

(3) I used my best judgment when deciding which mountain range and subrange highpoints to include and which to omit. Here are a few notes on my decision-making process:

(A) I omitted any summits that were not accessible through an *easy* and *legal* process. The table of contents originally included (Uncompahgre Plateau HP) Horsefly Peak, (Uintah Mountains, Dinosaur Area HP) Zenobia Peak, and (Sleeping Ute Mountain Area HP) “Ute Peak,” but I removed them to avoid issues with the publisher and with landowners. I realize that none of those areas are official mountain ranges (per the GNIS) but they are important land formations, and I would have included them if I could.

(B) I also omitted highpoints that lie outside Colorado’s borders, which is why the highpoints of the Colorado Plateau and the Uintah Mountains are not listed.

(C) I omitted any HPs that I thought would be disappointing for the hiker/climber. The GNIS list includes many remote, low-elevation ranges, i.e., the Ant Hills. I did not visit the Ant Hills, or include them or their highpoint in the book.

(D) I *did* include the Cimarron Range, which is *not* on the GNIS list, but which is noted in many guidebooks and online mountain range “lists.” The definitions of the beginning and end points of the range vary between sources, however, and some claim Uncompahgre Peak as the highpoint, while others denote the range as terminating at Wetterhorn Basin. I listed Coxcomb Peak as the highpoint, and I expect there to be some disagreement with that choice. I did list Uncompahgre as the HP of the San Juan Mountains.

I spent a lot of time poring over maps and reading through mountaineering guidebooks and mountain geology books, and consulted a geology professor as well in determining my final choices, but there seems to be differences of opinion in what constitutes a mountain range or subrange, and where exactly those ranges begin and end, so I had to eventually just make some educated guesses based on available information.

Any feedback is welcome, of course.

-Susan
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Re: Climbing Colorado's Mountains List

Postby JoeGrim » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:12 am

Looks like it is an awesome book, and a great overview of the wide range of mountains we have in Colorado!
JoeGrim

Postby John Paul » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:06 pm

Incredible wealth of amazing information Susan. I'm going to get this book for sure. Curious did you include any peaks on the Grand Mesa? Thanks for all you do! jp
John Paul

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:20 pm

Thanks guys.

Joe, I used your trip report to locate the Laramie Mountains Highpoint (now "Killpecker Peak"), so thank you for that!

John, I did include the Grand Mesa Highpoint, Crater Peak, which is a cool little peak! I also included Mount Garfield C, as I felt that part of the state was kind of neglected in the book, and besides, it's another really fun peak, and one you can do with the whole family.

I did my best to hit as many highpoints as possible, and also include peaks that can be climbed year-round, along with a handful of peaks for beginners, so people who are new to the mountains won't be put off by the real difficult hikes and climbs, and get discouraged.

Colorado's mountains offer something for just about everyone!

-Susan
susanjoypaul

Postby dhgold » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Great job producing this fun and useful book. Wish I had a copy before I did a direct ascent of the north face of Hesperus. Any thoughts on volume 2?
dhgold

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Haha! Something tells me you enjoyed the direct ascent more than you would have the "standard route" on that peak!

I don't have any plans right now for a volume 2, as publishers seldom publish a second volume of anything, because the sales are never as good as they are for the first volume. I have a few small projects I'm working on that I will most likely self-publish under an LLC I'm starting with a friend, "Every Adventure Publishing." The big books take a massive commitment of time and energy, so I don't plan on writing any more of them, except for maybe new editions of my current books at some point.

Thanks again for your help, David. One of these days I'll have to get back up to Rabbit Ears Pass and make it all the way to the top of those silly rabbits.

Susan
susanjoypaul

Postby Scott Patterson » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:32 pm

Any feedback is welcome, of course.

(A) “The legally accessible highpoints of every major mountain range and subrange, major hills, mesas, plateaus, and sand dunes are represented, totaling 58 highpoints and comprising the first category.”

Susan, I'm not criticizing the book (I ordered it online-sounds interesting), but I notice that it list Black Mountain is listed as the highest point in the Elkhead Mountains. Meaden Peak East/McFaddin Peak is actually considered to be the highest mountain in the Elkheads:

http://listsofjohn.com/peak/2492

I realize that none of those areas are official mountain ranges (per the GNIS) but they are important land formations, and I would have included them if I could.

Cross Mountain (NW Colorado) might make a good addition (if there is ever a second addition) since it stands alone and is sort of a small mountain range in itself (despite its singular name).
Scott Patterson

Postby susanjoypaul » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:36 am

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your comments, and of course I welcome the open discussion.

I did look at Meaden originally, but decided it was too far east to be considered part of the Elkheads. I'll have to do a little digging to see where I found the definition of the endpoints of that range. If you have a reference please pass it on, and I can hang onto it for the next edition. Peakbagger has the highpoint listed as Sand Mountain North, and I dismissed that one for some reason as well, probably due to the location.

When I get some time I'll write a little more about the decision-process. I spent a lot of time selecting a few others, as well, and I expect there to be some dispute. For example, some people do not consider Big Agnes as part of the Sawtooths, and others claim Chair Mountain as a range highpoint. Then there's the question of the Gores: Just how far south do they go? I also found varying definitions for the cut-offs between the Tenmile and Mosquito Ranges (which are geographically one range), and for other features around Hoosier Pass. I had originally included information about this in the book, but had to cut it way down, and so those parts were edited out. This is a good place to discuss those topics, though.

Thank you for the suggestion of Cross Mountain. I really, really wanted to add something in that part of the state, especially the Dinosaur area, but I couldn't locate anything (outside of Zenobia) that qualified as a highpoint, peak on a pass, or a local favorite. I will have a look at Cross, for sure, and plan a trip there next summer, because at some point I will be doing a second edition which will mean - corrections and... new peaks! I had forgotten how familiar you are with that area, Scott, but I'm going to hit you up as a resource the next time around.

I came to appreciate northern Colorado, writing this book. Since there are no 14ers (or 13ers) up there, I seldom shared the trail - and never shared the summit - with a single soul. I really think we need to keep everything below 13,000 feet a secret.

Susan

By the way: It was a lot of fun meeting you and your kids on Culebra! You probably wondered what I was doing up there (a second time): I was hoping to get good photos for the book, as the first time I went up there I had used a disposable camera. Anyway, if you recall, we were socked in all day and the photos were awful, so I had to hit up Bill Middlebrook for pictures of that peak. I remember the funny look on your face when I asked you about Buck Mountain South, and for a second there I half-expected you to ask me point-blank what my book was about, but you didn't. You even mentioned "mountain range highpoints" in a thread on 14ers.com sometime after that, and I was thinking "crap, I hope he's not writing this same book - I've already put so much time into it!" I did read your report on Buck before going up there, and that was probably one of my most memorable trips. Will have to tell you all about it sometime :-)
susanjoypaul

Postby Scott Patterson » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:16 pm

I did look at Meaden originally, but decided it was too far east to be considered part of the Elkheads. I'll have to do a little digging to see where I found the definition of the endpoints of that range. If you have a reference please pass it on, and I can hang onto it for the next edition.

Perhaps the best source on the Elkhead Mountains and history of the mountains is in the following book:

https://www.chesslerbooks.com/item/4697 ... erence.asp

Peakbagger has the highpoint listed as Sand Mountain North, and I dismissed that one for some reason as well, probably due to the location.

"Sand Mountain North" is the actually the same as East Meaden/McFaddin Peak (and the peak labeled as Meaden on the 7.5 Minute Maps) mentioned above. The name is in confusion, but it's for sure the high point of the range.

Here is some information about the confusion as to the name of the peak:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=109&p=6211

Here's an excerpt from the book:

I came to appreciate northern Colorado, writing this book. Since there are no 14ers (or 13ers) up there, I seldom shared the trail - and never shared the summit - with a single soul.

That's how it is out here. Most of the registers on the peaks out this way go years or decades without signatures. It is extremely rare to run into someone else while hiking. On the Utah side, we found one register where the last signature was from 1911!

Cross Mountain is one of the classics out here and might be worth checking out since it might qualify as a small range. It is one of the strangest mountains in Colorado since instead of going around the mountain, the Yampa River slices through it directly.

I remember the funny look on your face when I asked you about Buck Mountain South, and for a second there I half-expected you to ask me point-blank what my book was about, but you didn't.

I think you had already said it was a mountain climbing book from Colorado, but I didn't know more. The guidebook authors I know tend to stay rather secretive before publication, so I don't ask too much.

You even mentioned "mountain range highpoints" in a thread on 14ers.com sometime after that, and I was thinking "crap, I hope he's not writing this same book - I've already put so much time into it!

Nah, I've already written several guidebooks and haven't been working on any more. I just put info on the internet now mostly (and even then, less than I used to). I still have a bunch of guidebooks sitting in my basement and I haven't found the time to market them lately. Since the guidebooks were to Utah, I could easily market them in Utah, but then I moved to Colorado and it became harder. I've thought of writing books to this region, but since it's not very popular, I don't think they would sell that well, even if the information was well written. I also have a few guidebooks written that I never did publish, some of them about canyoneering.

Good luck with your book. A Colorado wide book should sell well.
Scott Patterson

Postby KentonB » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:08 pm

Great book Susan! I got my copy a few days ago. :-) Looks like I've got a lot more exploring to do in Colorado!
KentonB

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:00 am

Thanks for the feedback, Scott. I will look at Meaden for the next edition.

Scott Patterson wrote:Nah, I've already written several guidebooks and haven't been working on any more. I just put info on the internet now mostly (and even then, less than I used to). I still have a bunch of guidebooks sitting in my basement and I haven't found the time to market them lately. Since the guidebooks were to Utah, I could easily market them in Utah, but then I moved to Colorado and it became harder. I've thought of writing books to this region, but since it's not very popular, I don't think they would sell that well, even if the information was well written. I also have a few guidebooks written that I never did publish, some of them about canyoneering.

Good luck with your book. A Colorado wide book should sell well.

Haha! Yeah, well I didn't have much choice with that... most publishers won't touch regional guides. That's why all three of my books cover the whole state. The upside to the publisher is more book sales - the downside to the author is a ridiculous amount of work. I put more than 15,000 miles a year on my car writing books, and I had to replace the engine once, too. Add to that all the oil changes and camping fees - it gets expensive.

I don't do any sales or marketing at all - the publisher does all that, along with the editing, layout, reformatting my maps to fit their style, cover design, printing, etc. They also make most of the profits, so I don't really even think about the sales. After the retailers take their 40-50% and the publisher takes their cut, authors do not make much. Writing for me is a compulsion and an obsession - like hiking, climbing, and doing peaks is for many people - and so writing guidebooks is a hobby, more than anything.

If you're doing regional guides, you can go with a smaller, local publisher, but they tend to do very little sales or marketing, and they usually only do one run of your book, maybe a couple thousand copies, and then it's out of print. If you still have the rights to the material, you can get it reprinted through another publisher or self-publish it, but if the publisher's retained the rights to the material, then you're out of luck.

Self-publishing makes more sense for regional guides. Online sites that cater to self-publishers charge exorbitant rates for printing, though, making it too cost-prohibitive to even consider. The best option out there right now is probably Amazon, where you can publish your books straight to Kindle, and then print on demand for people who want to order them in hard copy. Author Central on Amazon is a good place to start if you want to go that route. You need to get an ISBN number for each publication, but you can order those online for about a hundred bucks.

KentonB wrote:Great book Susan! I got my copy a few days ago. :-) Looks like I've got a lot more exploring to do in Colorado!

Thanks Kenton. I have tracks and waypoints (in gpx) and detailed topos (in tpo and in Word, too) for every chapter, so if you need more info than what's in the book just holler. I can't publish them online - the publisher retains the rights to them, so they can sell them to sites like trails.com, and also so they can make them into apps - but I don't mind sending one-offs.

Susan
susanjoypaul

Postby Scott Patterson » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:16 pm

If you're doing regional guides, you can go with a smaller, local publisher, but they tend to do very little sales or marketing, and they usually only do one run of your book, maybe a couple thousand copies, and then it's out of print. If you still have the rights to the material, you can get it reprinted through another publisher or self-publish it, but if the publisher's retained the rights to the material, then you're out of luck.

Yes, I self published all mine through my own publishing company known as Notch Mountain Publishing. It worked well when I lived in Utah and could market the books through distributors. A few of them used to be sold in all of the outdoor stores in Utah:

Utah Idaho Supply/Map World still carries them, but basically they are out of print. REI, Kirkhams, etc. used to carry them. You can still get them on Amazon.

I also had a problem of getting paid through distributors, some of which sold and resold and never got paid at times. Self publishing and marketing is a pain.

Falcon has really taken over the guidebook business now days, so it' best to just go through them or someone similar. If I were to self publish again, I'd just do a website.
Scott Patterson

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:58 am

Scott Patterson wrote:Falcon has really taken over the guidebook business now days, so it's best to just go through them or someone similar.

That's the advice I give people who ask me about book publishing: Do your homework, learn how to write a letter of inquiry and a book proposal, and try to get a contract with the biggest publisher you can, at least for your first book. Then you can piggy-back off their marketing with anything you self-publish. I spent a year educating myself about the industry, and wrote a 13-page proposal (double spaced, 12 point Times New Roman, because yes, editors are that picky about what they will even consider) for my first book that included a table of contents, summary of every chapter, my own reviews of the potential competition for the book, a marketing plan, etc. It was rejected by every publisher (the audience was too limited) but one of them was impressed enough by the proposal to offer me a contract for another book. It's tough to get a contract for non-fiction, and a proposal for fiction requires even more work: Editors usually want to see the first four chapters, too, and more...

You might want to consider putting your guides on Kindle, via Kindle Direct. It's free, the royalties are very high (up to 70%), and you still retain the rights to publish your books in hard copy. They have tools on CreateSpace to do this, or I *think* you can just upload a PDF.

I love books (yes, I was that little kid with the Coke-bottle glasses and no friends who hung out at the library every afternoon and weekends, too), and guidebooks, and books on mountaineering. I remember walking through Chessler Books a few years ago. He's a friend of a friend and we were invited there for some reason, and I could not believe the collection. I have my own small "collection" and I'm going to order your backcountry guide to the western Uintahs. Your author's page isn't set up so I can't tell if you have any other books out there, but if you do let me know. Some people aren't into guidebooks, but I think they're fascinating.

Susan
susanjoypaul

Return to Colorado Peaks