John Kirk completes Ouray County

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

John Kirk completes Ouray County

Postby John Kirk » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:49 am

Yes, I'm putting up my own finisher thread because I've earned the privilege... :shh:

John Kirk becomes the first completer of the 72 ranked summits of Ouray County November 8th. Ouray boasts four of CO's sixteen ranked 5th class peaks above treeline.

Special thanks to Derek Wolfe (Furthermore) for leading Chimney Rock, and Alyson for joining me on the not-so-great 8544.

This county has a disproportionate share of my favorite peaks in the state.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: John Kirk completes Ouray County

Postby John Paul » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:10 am

Hurray John! Ouray does have some nice peaks - Sneffels group, Wetterhorn group, Ironton area and even to low ones by Ridgway. It's fitting to see you be the first one to finish this county. Hopefully you will pave the ways for others. How about that H-fly & F-Top combo! JP
:rock:
John Paul

Postby kirkmallory » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:14 am

Congratulations John! You did earn the privilege. That sounds like a challenging county with several high-quality peaks.

And congrats to both you and Alyson for finishing the La Garita Wilderness yesterday (Sunday 11/9). That wilderness includes the not-so-trivial Twin Peaks.
Last edited by kirkmallory on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kirkmallory

Postby John Kirk » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:22 am

kirkmallory wrote:And congrats to both you and Alyson for finishing the La Garita Wilderness yesterday (Sunday 11/9). That wilderness includes the not-so-trivial Twin Peaks.

Thanks Kirk! We saw your register entry on Mineral - you were the last one to sign. Great hike in there. One of the rare Bob Martin registers still around on a higher peak.

John Paul wrote:How about that H-fly & F-Top combo! JP

All I can say is what a great moon, and what a very long day. I had to stop in Montrose after only 20 minutes of driving for a one hour power nap (extremely rare for me) after dinner.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Brian Kalet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:19 pm

The audacity you have for posting your own finisher thread. Interesting comment about the 16 ranked 5th class peaks above treeline. Might only be 15 if you exclude Squaretop Mountain.
Brian Kalet

Postby Steve Knapp » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:05 pm

John Kirk wrote:Yes, I'm putting up my own finisher thread because I've earned the privilege... :shh:

That is too funny! Congrats John! Especially nice to be the first one, guess Mike didn't care for those 7ers and 8ers SE of Ridgway Reservoir. A 10-peak day to finish, well done. :brapper
Steve Knapp

Postby TeresaGergen » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:31 am

Congrats, John! A lot of those non-technical higher peaks are non-trivial as well.

Aahhh, the full moon makes sense. :-D That was a long night for me with just the 2 10ers.
TeresaGergen

Postby dhgold » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:50 am

Once again, congratulations. I find the regularity with which you complete new counties remarkable given how many you've already completed. Soon you'll need to start working the NW quadrant of the state with your regular assiduousness.
dhgold

Postby John Paul » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:17 pm

Brian Kalet wrote:The audacity you have for posting your own finisher thread.

That's too funny! Can you blame him though, the guy freakin' completed San Juan county on 09-15-14 and no one posted a finisher thread...lol
John Paul

Postby Steve Knapp » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:55 am

John Paul wrote:
Brian Kalet wrote:The audacity you have for posting your own finisher thread.

That's too funny! Can you blame him though, the guy freakin' completed San Juan county on 09-15-14 and no one posted a finisher thread...lol

I noticed it but it was a bit late so I tacked it on to his Larimer completion thread. John finishes lists so often it's hard to keep up!

How did you pull up the list of all San Juan county peaks with the date he climbed each of them? I've always wanted to do that but it's not obvious how to do it. I must be missing something.

**Edit. Never mind, I found it under user profile summary stats, click on the county there. Cool!
Steve Knapp

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:31 pm

Nuts. Congrats on another county down, John. Amazing bit of work again this year. :rock:
Jeremy Hakes

Return to Colorado Peaks