Dan Bereck completes highest 1,000

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Dan Bereck completes highest 1,000

Postby John Kirk » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:51 pm

Dan Bereck completed the 1,000 highest ranked peaks of Colorado today on Mount Bowen. Pretty sure he's only the seventh person to do so. Thanks for letting us join you Dan!

IMG_5032.jpg
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Dan Bereck completes highest 1,000

Postby Alyson Kirk » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:05 pm

Way to go Dan! Thanks for letting us be a part of such a big accomplishment! :rock:
Alyson Kirk

Postby Brian Kalet » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:27 pm

Congratulations, Dan! That is a list I will likely never complete...
Brian Kalet

Postby TeresaGergen » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:50 pm

Congrats, Dan! Yes, you're the 7th known person to complete this list. I'll make sure the info gets into the CMC Trail and Timberline this year.
TeresaGergen

Postby kirkmallory » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:30 am

Congratulations Dan!
kirkmallory

Postby Ryan Kowalski » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:20 am

Congratulations Dan! That is an incredible accomplishment indeed.
Ryan Kowalski

Postby Dan Bereck » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:34 pm

Thanks for your comments. Thanks to everyone who helped make the top 1000 possible for me. It was not just an individual achievement. I’ve had lots of great climbing partners over the years. Special thanks to Don, Debby, Dave, Jennifer, Gerry, Craig, Jack, Ken, Roger, Charlie, Jean, John, and Renata. Thanks John for an unbelievably informative website too. Where were you 30 years ago??!! It was great having 22 people join me for camping and dinner the night before the Bowen hike. Sorry that I could not invite others but camping and dinner had their limits. Many thanks go to Melanie for preparing an amazing dinner for all. It was also great having 19 people hiking up the final top 1000th peak with me. There were enough to carry me if needed??!! Whoever was in charge of weather did a fantastic job both days but the mosquito control person could have done better after Blue Lake. Some of the hikers gave their pint of blood for the cause??!!

I would also like to thank the old timers especially the pioneers in Colorado climbing. Ellingwood, Blaurock, Ormes, and many others were the true climbers. The rest of us have just built upon their shoulders. Garratt, Martin, and Nolan showed us that certain feats were possible and the lists were created. Lists of John has them all.

I am glad that the top 1000 quest is now finished. It began with Longs Peak in 1983 (Hallets Peak was climbed in 1982 on vacation but I’ve done it a few times since as well) and ends with Bowen Mountain in 2014. The entire 12er list will not follow for me, even though Ken thinks otherwise. It is much nicer just doing what I desire instead of being totally focused on a list. I would encourage others to follow their dreams as well, whether that is a list or just doing what one desires. You need to be doing, what you are accomplishing, for yourself. I cannot say it was never about the lists for me but the mountains, partners, challenges, and enjoyment, were really primary. Montani semper liberi.
Attachments
bowensummit22.jpg
The Summit Crew
Dan Bereck

Return to Colorado Peaks