Ken Nolan finishes Saguache County

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Ken Nolan finishes Saguache County

Postby TeresaGergen » Wed May 29, 2013 7:50 am

He picked out this objective not all that long ago on LOJ, and made pretty quick work of the second largest county in the state after Gunnison County. Saguache has 258 ranked peaks.

Congrats, Ken!
TeresaGergen

Re: Ken Nolan finishes Saguache County

Postby mikeofferman » Wed May 29, 2013 11:28 am

Nice one Ken! How about Tower Benchmark in Weld county next? One peak/one county!
mikeofferman

Postby Brian Kalet » Wed May 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Congratulations on your recent completions of Alamosa (4/13), Chaffee (5/6) & Saguache (5/28).
Just imagine how many counties you would have finished if you didn't spend so much time on that grid! :worms:
Brian Kalet

Postby Ken Nolan » Thu May 30, 2013 7:19 am

Brian – You won’t be surprised to learn that my imagination favors the opposite perspective. Unfortunately, some time ago I was placed on the PUPG list (that’s Physically Unable to Pursue the Grid). I needed a goal or three that I could accomplish before shutting things down for a knee replacement next month.

That said, Saguache County is a delight. Nice variety of peaks: Sangre de Cristo 14ers, the Summer Coon volcanic field, forested domes, Prosser Rock, a sand dune, Twin Peaks, … surprisingly little of the nasty bushwhacking that plagued me on the lower 11ers.

Mike – Anything with “tower” in its name is intimidating for me at the moment.
Ken Nolan

Postby John Kirk » Thu May 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Nice work Ken. Saguache is a nice refuge from things that plague the peakbagger of all seasons - winter/spring usually forces a dichotomy of snow vs. scrub. The quantity of BLM/NF summits also makes the area comparatively appealing.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Steve Knapp » Fri May 31, 2013 9:44 am

Congrats Ken! I didn't know about the knee replacement. Hope that goes well for you and we see you back on the peaks not too long afterwards.
Steve Knapp

Postby TeresaGergen » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Didn't take him long to finish Summit once the snow stopped falling. Watch for Rio Grande before the knee replacement.
TeresaGergen

Postby Steve Knapp » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:14 pm

Awesome, congrats on Summit as well Ken! Wichita is a tough little peak. Think of all the millions of tourists and front rangers that pass right under it each year, without so much as a glance.

We should rename the thread "Kens county list completion of the month". You are on a roll...
Steve Knapp

Postby kirkmallory » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:56 pm

It's that time of the year when parts of the state start turning green. Wichita is a nice peak to finish on, if you happened to get all the higher peaks years ago.
kirkmallory

Postby lukePlumley » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Ken,

Congratulations on these fine accomplishments. Saguache and Summit Counties are some big-time lists!
Best wishes on the new knee! We will all be thinking of you and hoping for a quick recovery.

lp
lukePlumley

Postby Brian Kalet » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:54 am

Summit county makes four county completions in less than two months; I believe that is a record...
Brian Kalet

Return to Colorado Peaks