GPX trip reports?

Discuss general site topics

GPX trip reports?

Postby Furthermore » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:49 am

I have finally upgraded to the modern day and age of a GPS and I was curious what people thought about a GPX track overlay on Google maps for a trip report. 14ers has something similar where you can see the map and have the option to download the GPX file. For the smaller county summits, all I really need is a map with the route marked. With the ability to upload GPX I think it would be super easy to retrace routes on the smaller peaks. Thoughts? Is that complicated to make?
Furthermore

Re: GPX trip reports?

Postby KentonB » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:21 pm

I'd love to see that too! In the meantime, if you're hiking any peaks I've done, just send me a message and I'd be happy to send you tracks in GPX format (or just about any other format you need).
KentonB

Postby John Kirk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:11 pm

I've actually wanted to add this for a while. First I wanted to convert all Google maps the site uses to API V3 (v2 is getting shut off in May), so that I wasn't writing new code that would be replaced anyway. This was completed not too long ago. Look for this in the coming weeks...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Furthermore » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Sweet! I will start saving those GPX files. Or is there a better format?
Furthermore

Postby John Kirk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:13 pm

GPX is the preferred format
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby KentonB » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Looks great! Thanks again, John, for all the tremendous work you do on this site.
KentonB

Postby John Kirk » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Should be fully functional now (and GPX files can be added to old TRs).

Examples:
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/TripReport.php?Id=1815

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/TripReport.php?Id=1741&pkid=14078

*Keep in mind this is for gps tracks only, not waypoint or route files*
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby KentonB » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Thanks again John! Is there any way to download someone's .gpx file from the trip report (if, for example, they wanted to then upload it to their own GPS to retrace the route)?
KentonB

Postby PaulStratmoen » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:46 pm

I've been wanting to post several of my old tracks into trip reports, but unfortunately, the vast majority of them are saved only in the National Geographic TOPO! (.tpo Toliet ) format. :rip:

In Google searching for a program to convert the .tpo files to .gpx, I found this program as a free download - http://www.gpsbabel.org. It was referenced in several forum discussions, so I felt somewhat comforted that may just be safe. :disturbed: Just in case it wasn't, however, I tried it first on an old throwaway computer and found that it works great. I've actually have been converting my .tpo files first to Garmin .gpb, so that I can eliminate duplicate tracks, remove waypoints, and otherwise clean them up in Mapsource before converting them to .gpx. The program can convert many different file formats.

I've had no problems so far, but download it at you own risk if you dare!
PaulStratmoen

Postby John Kirk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:20 pm

PaulStratmoen wrote:http://www.gpsbabel.org

This is a great tool for two things I'm currently doing a lot of.

One is converting FIT files without an internet connection to GPX since Garmin appears presently to not care about its own broken converter via connect.garmin.com

The other is what you pointed out, converting TPO files directly to GPX. This is way better than trying to create a GPX file using TOPO itself (the GPS routing tool), which then has to be converted to a track upon completion. The program hangs, and loses much of the detail when routing. The gpsbabel conversion completes with much better track-point sampling/re-representation and completes instantaneously.

Another free tool I use a lot is GPS track Editor (v1.15.141):
_.png

This is very handy to visually differentiate track segments and perform clean-up.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby ksroqclimber » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:02 pm

PaulStratmoen wrote: http://www.gpsbabel.org

Thanks for the tip here. Used this to convert MapMyHike TCX (Garmin format) to gpx. LOJ picked it right up after conversion.

Thanks
ksroqclimber

Return to General