Two.
60%
Three.
20%
Not an Issue.
No votes
Don't Care.
10%
Already been beat to death, you are an idiot.
10%

Total votes : 10

Same Day Re-Summits

Postby tyson ferryman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:27 am

Hey All,

Don't know if this has been discussed, but what is SOP on counting a peak twice because one has went over to a second peak and back over the first, assuming both are ranked on the 300 foot rule? Is this two summits in a day, or three? For example, is Redcloud, Sunshine, Redcloud, count for doing Redcloud twice?

For me, not so much. Seems one could find a local 300' hill, run some laps, and up some stats (albeit, lower some others). But I noticed that on the "lists category leaders" some people seem to count this way (am I right here?). Is this even an issue? Does there need to be a :loj: standard?

I would say that none of this matters to me, personally, but I'd be lyin'. Hey, this is Lists of John, after all!
Just food for thought, sorry if this has been beat to death somewhere :chair:, or if it is a can o' :worms:.
Last edited by tyson ferryman on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
tyson ferryman

Re: Same Day Re-Summits

Postby Brian Kalet » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:09 pm

tyson ferryman wrote:Seems one could find a local 300' hill, run some laps, and up some stats (albeit, lover some others). But I noticed that on the "lists category leaders" some people seem to count this way (am I right here?). Is this even an issue? Does there need to be a :loj: standard?

The Stats Category Leaders only counts a peak once per day regardless of how many same day re-summits are logged.
Brian Kalet

Postby tyson ferryman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:06 pm

Thanks, Brian, for that info.
Does this effect any stats, then? Total peaks, 14er repeats, ave. elevation, five summits in a day, etc...?
tyson ferryman

Postby Brian Kalet » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:43 pm

Peaks are only counted once per day for Total Peaks, Average Elevation, 5+ Peaks in a day, but can be counted multiple times for Most Repeats.
Brian Kalet

Postby John Kirk » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:36 pm

I personally do not list ascents of the same peak more than once in a day (I have gone over the same summit in the same day probably 20 separate occasions). People have the option of adding as many ascents as they like for the same day, but many stats are based on unique peaks in a day. 5+ peak days or any other ascent detail pages will show distinct summits one time only. For example, someone's peak list for the year will show all repeats:
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/ViewDateRange.php?Member=Ken%20Nolan&dm=11&dd=07&dy=2010&dme=11&dde=07&dye=2010
While the ascents detail only credits each summit once per day:
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/ascentsdetail.php?Id=58&M=Ken%20Nolan&D=2010-11-07
Similarly, someone's full year list will show all ascents regardless of how many repeats of the summit take place on the same day (202 ranked peaks for Ken):
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/ViewDateRange.php?Member=Ken%20Nolan&dm=01&dd=01&dy=2010&dme=12&dde=06&dye=2010
But when counting total summits on the leaderboard, these same-day repeats aren't counted:
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conten ... .php?r=all (Ken has 190 as of today's date)
In short, the reason for the different methods is: For competition purposes, I do not view reascents of the same summit in the same day to be a fair metric...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Thanks!

Postby tyson ferryman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks, Brian, and John for the info. I was looking for.

On a side note, someone asked me if using medians or modes would be better for some metrics. Thoughts?
tyson ferryman

Return to General