Google MyMaps file generator

Discuss general site topics

Google MyMaps file generator

Postby DSunwall » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:43 pm

John has created a new file generator tool for "MyMaps" which can also be used on Android phones, and IPhones with the right app.
click on Google map file generator. Choose either the lat and longs, or state and county. "Submit" then right click and save the GPX file created to a place you will remember.
file generator.jpg

go to Google Maps and select "MyMaps" then "Create New Map"
create new map.jpg

click on import, it says KML or KMZ but lately it does take GPX files. Choose the GPX file you created and select "Upload".
import.jpg

fill out the title and comments and then "Save"
save my map.jpg

clicking on the bubbles will give you the name, rise, iso, and a link to the peak profile page.
map bubbles.jpg
click on lojprofile to go to the profile page.

you may think, whats the big deal, I can get all this from the LOJ site. The deal is, with a Droid or Iphone, in "Maps" it will show your position with a blue triangle. In the next post I'll describe how to use the LOJ peak map you just created.
Last edited by DSunwall on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSunwall

Re: Google MyMaps file generator

Postby DSunwall » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:53 pm

Once you have "Maps" open in the Droid, go to "Layers" then "More Layers" then "MyMaps". Select the map you created earlier.
Not sure how this works with the IPhone.

Now as you are driving around you can turn on the layer for the area you are in, see where you are and see all the nearby peaks. Clicking on the bubble will bring up the peak name. click on the Peak name and a page of options will show. click on "Details". The Rise, Iso, and a Link to the Peak profile page will show. Click on the LOJ link and the profile page will open. sounds like a lot but it really is fairly quick and smooth.

I don't have screenshots from my Droid working yet, when I do I'll post an example.

Once you try it, you will understand why this is pretty cool.
Last edited by DSunwall on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:43 pm

Nice documentation Dwight!
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:18 pm

I have enabled adding ascents from the peak profile pages (see the "Add" button to add peaks below the list of climbers for each peak's profile), which should really simplify updating peaks while on-the-go (at least with a Droid).
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:52 am

Now I will have to climb a few peaks. I suspect this won't get much use until more people have smartphones.
Thanks for making this all possible John.

If everyone at LOJ would sign up for Latitude, http://www.google.com/mobile/latitude it would be interesting to see where every one in the US is at on any given day, say hi if your in the neighborhood, join for a peak or two, it would also be somewhat of a safety, kind of like a spot. This can run in concurrence with MyMaps. Kevin Baker and I have tried it out, works very well.
Last edited by DSunwall on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:00 am

I've thought for some time that this type of technology (on smartphones vs. Spot) could really create some efficiency for SAR and save more lives. Satellite connectivity is about the only piece missing.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:21 am

John Kirk wrote: Satellite connectivity is about the only piece missing.
right, but the day is coming soon. Latitude does show your last connected location and how long ago you were there. It is surprising how often you do connect in spots in the mountains, even the San Juans. Leaving my Droid on I get a ping whenever a new email arrives, thats been my indicator of when I am back in coverage. The Google program MyTracks, now tracks connectivity, your track will show signal strength, I haven't played with that much yet but an interesting Mtn. coverage map could be created with more usage by everyone.
DSunwall

Postby DSunwall » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:04 pm

another benifit of having the Profile link, clicking on "large Topo" from the Profile page will give you a good MyTopo map of where you are, if you are near that peak.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:32 pm

I see the MyMaps app is available for iPhone. On another note, AccuTerra (jphebus, a member of LoJ is working on it) is building an app for iPhone that will have LoJ summits and profile links preloaded. Unlike the Google Terrain Maps use of LoJ data without my consent, I retain rights to revoke permissions and I can request updates to the data - so it is a good agreement from an LoJ standpoint.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to General