How to get Peak waypoints to show on a Droid

Discuss general site topics

How to get Peak waypoints to show on a Droid

Postby DSunwall » Tue May 04, 2010 7:41 am

First use the LOJ tool "Make GPX file" . I haven't experimented enough to know how many waypoints this will handle. Any GPX file will work. In Google Maps on your PC go to "my Maps", create new map, import. It will say you can only import KML, and RSS something, but it will import a GPX. Title the map.

On your Droid, open Maps, go to Layers, more layers, my maps. Your saved map will be there with the waypoints, you have to touch them to get the label.
DSunwall

Re: How to get Peak waypoints to show on a Droid

Postby John Kirk » Tue May 04, 2010 1:08 pm

Cool stuff. I would guess that GPX works because it is actually XML, as are KML files.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Tue May 04, 2010 1:59 pm

so you could easily add a make KML file tool, although not necessary because GPX works, it would just be more google.

I am amazed at how integrated the Droid and all things google are. Geotagged photos, uploaded to Picassa, maps with photo thumbnails in the location the photo was taken, etc. An exceptional feature is the voice recognition, no more typing on miniature keyboards except to correct a few misunderstood words. I know, the Droid is google. You'll have to add a geotag feature to LOJ photos so we know which side of the mountain the photo was taken from.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dlsunwall/D ... directlink

click view map
DSunwall

Postby DSunwall » Sun May 09, 2010 7:52 am

Lately, uploading a GPX does not work, you will have to convert to kml somehow, I use TopoFusion. There are other ways to convert as well. Google Earth will open a GPX file, then you can save as a KML or KMZ, either one will import into google "my Maps".

next step is to figure out how to get a workable link to the peak page into the bubble.
DSunwall

Postby DSunwall » Fri May 14, 2010 8:25 am

Gaia for Android now has downloading of maps, works pretty smooth, I'll test it out of cell coverage this weekend. The maps are excellent, much better than looking at a Garmin map on your GPS, they look just like MyTopo on your PC screen, with a little triangle showing your location.
DSunwall

Return to General