LoJ names on Google Terrain maps

Discuss general site topics

LoJ names on Google Terrain maps

Postby John Kirk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:33 pm

Not sure who gave it to them, but LoJ unofficial names are now showing on Google Terrain maps as well as placement of the official names. Odd that I wasn't contacted...

Seems to include only p300s that are either named or unofficially named. Peaks without names/unofficial names are left out regardless of prominence.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: LoJ names on Google Terrain maps

Postby mikeofferman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:34 pm

Somewhat recently you added a few unofficial names that they didn't pick up. Two that came to mind were Confluence Peak and Nutcracker Peak by Long Draw Res.
mikeofferman

Postby John Kirk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:49 pm

mikeofferman wrote:Somewhat recently you added a few unofficial names that they didn't pick up. Two that came to mind were Confluence Peak and Nutcracker Peak by Long Draw Res.

The data set is about a year old. I think I know where it came from as Aaron M. of peaklist.org asked to use the lists for a Google earth project around that long ago - I didn't expect to see it used on any live Google maps. I've sent a request to have the unofficial names removed.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Forrest Thorniley » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:05 pm

Just noticed this today. Google is one step closer....
Forrest Thorniley

Postby DSunwall » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:47 pm

I just went to google maps to check this out and noticed an "Earth" button, now you don't need to go to Google Earth for 3D.

I recently bought a Droid and figured out how to get the Terrain layer loaded, (its under Lab). I will be waiting impatiently for the LOJ layer, where we can touch a peak and the peak page shows up. Either that or a LOJ app with GPS so the peaks in our current location show up.

Smartphones do have the full capability of a standalone GPS, someone has to write the apps to make it happen, mostly the ability to save maps onboard. It is being worked on.
DSunwall

Return to General