Learning to Rock Climb

Discuss general site topics

Learning to Rock Climb

Postby BrandonReich » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:58 pm

Hey I'm new to LoJ but I was wondering if anyone had any tips or hints on learning to climb. I live in Loveland, CO. I know I can handle class 3 and 4 pretty easily but I've never done any class to my knowledge.

And I definitely don't want to have to limit the peaks I climb because I can't handle a class 5.
BrandonReich

Re: Learning to Rock Climb

Postby Al Sandorff » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:28 pm

I made it up my 1st class 4 peak this past September, but have also had two other class 4 peaks that I wimped out on. I went to an indoor climbing wall in Reno and made it up a 5.8 section with the security of a belay. Unless you have a friend that is willing and knows what their doing, my advice would be to take a class. Yosemite and The Tetons are two that come to mind if you want to do it outdoors on the real thing.

Al
Al Sandorff

Postby BrandonReich » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks, thats what I figured. Anyone know of good walls and classes in northern colorado?

And one more abstract question, anyone have a guess on the minimum amount of money it will take to buy gear?
BrandonReich

Postby lukePlumley » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:53 pm

The Estes Park Mountain Shop has one of the best indoor climbing gyms around. Winter rates are very very cheap, and someone is always around to belay for you if you do the same for them. They also have cheap entry level classes. Check it out!

lp
lukePlumley

Postby TWorth » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:22 pm

For practice areas near Loveland/Longmont there are some easy cliffs on the SE side of Kenny Mtn, near Pope's Hill. I also used to practice on the S face of Palisade Mtn. Rock climbers frequent the lower reaches so there may be bolted routes. The faces seemed better about 1000' up - less brush to deal with.

Too bad it seems many folks who have been up Palisade walk up from the N or W, the S face is a continuous low elevation scramble, 2000' from the base.
TWorth

Postby Steve Knapp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:40 pm

Some kind of instruction is very important, your life as well as your future partners lives depends on it. Try joining the CMC (if you aren't already a member), they may still offer affordable schools. That is how I learned to lead years ago, through BMS and a couple of rock classes. Read some books like "Freedom of the Hills" and apply that knowledge outdoors. Find some knowledgeable friends that can serve as mentors, follow them on moderate routes and study how gear is placed and anchors are built. Climbing is great fun and quite a rush, but you have to always be on your A game to stay safe (and even then accidents can happen to the best climbers).

Oh yeah, acquiring a rack is not cheap. Plan on spending at least $1000 or more. Cams are the worst offenders, but you'll want to have many of those. Used gear is not a great option, you want to know how every piece on your rack has been used and maintained.

Have fun!
Steve Knapp

Postby BrandonReich » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:29 pm

Thanks a ton for everything you four. I am going to take a class at Estes Park Mountain Shop next week but I've been considering joining the CMC. I do of my hikes solo even though I know the dangers. It would be nice to at least have an opportunity to go with some more experienced people.
BrandonReich

Return to General