GPS choice

Discuss general site topics

GPS choice

Postby davebobk47 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:14 am

Looking for some advice on GPS...

I currently just have the basic Garmin eTrex but I'm looking to upgrade. I've been eyeing the Garming Oregon series. Does anyone have experience with these? I'm most interested in how well it will interface with my computer and how the preloaded maps are.
davebobk47

Re: GPS choice

Postby JoeGrim » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:56 pm

My recommendation is the Etrex Vista HCx. It has all you really need (barometric altimeter, electronic compass, high sensitivity receiver, map loading capability, etc.) for a little more than half the price of the Oregon. The Oregon does have a few more bells and whistles, most notably a substantially larger display, but I don't think it will give any more accuracy. It is very easy to upload and download data to and from my Vista HCx. I do have to load data onto the Vista HCx, and these maps are about $100 a pop, so you will want to factor that into the price, as the Oregon 400+ come preloaded with the map type of your choice. Personally, if I wanted to upgrade from my Vista HCx, I would upgrade to the Dakota 20, because I don't think the Oregon has anything I want that the Dakota 20 doesn't already have. Anyway, those are my thoughts.
JoeGrim

Postby davebobk47 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks for the input.

I do already own the Nat Geo TOPO maps for CO and NM which is where I do 99% of my hiking. Can I load those maps onto the Etrex Vista HCx?
davebobk47

Postby JoeGrim » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Nope. The Vista HCx only can officially load maps from Garmin (e.g., http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/maps/onthetrailmaps). However, I have tried to load free maps from here (http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_cotopo.html). Had trouble with it at first, but cleared everything out and tried again and it has worked fine ever since. The new Garmin GPSes (Oregon, Colorado, Dakota) are supposed to allow you to create custom maps (http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/u ... custommaps), so I would think you could just make an image from your NG Topo! software and load it onto one of these. But this seems like it would be a lot of work to do for every single hike you do, and all I'm basing my knowledge on is the Garmin website.
JoeGrim

Postby DSunwall » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:43 am

I have the Vista HCX as well, I believe it gives the most bang for the buck. If I had the extra cash I would go for an Oregon 550T. I think the shaded relief maps would be a big plus for field navigation, 3d like terrain view rather than just contours that the HCX has. All the other features would be fun as well, geo tagging camera for one.
DSunwall

Postby MikeRodenak » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:04 pm

I am resurrecting this thread to get some advice on a GPS unit, looking at possibly making the move to purchase one (first one) with tax refund money, but am looking for some pointers from people on this site. I think what I want one for most corresponds to some of you guys (John, Steve, Jeremy I am looking in your direction :-D), so I figured this was a good place to ask questions...

What I am hoping for is to have a GPS to help me with some of the obscure lower peaks that:
A) Don't have Nat Geo Trails Illustrated Maps available
B) Have treed or generally flat summits that are hard to distinguish the high point of
C) Has 24k maps I can use and plug in LOJ way points to.

I can use the 24k maps, save waypoints for the summits in the general area of where I am going to be, and then know which nearby low peaks are ranked summits that may be of interest to me while camping or driving through the area. Basically to do in the field what I would do at home with TOPO!, which as I understand it, you can't load those maps to GPS units.

I am thinking that the Vista HCX will be able to do that, provided of course I purchase the Southwest map package from Garmin. Is this correct? Is this what you guys use in the field, if not what do you think is a better alternate?

Thanks!! You guys rock :rock:
MikeRodenak

Postby Steve Knapp » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Hey Mike, good to hear you are thinking of joining the modern GPS era! It's a great tool for any kind of peak bagging. Garmin is the way to go, they seem to have the best devices for what we do.

I think the Vista HCX is still a great choice, best value for the money. Though if you want the latest/greatest I'm sure the Oregon/Dakota touchscreens are nice. The only significant flaw reported on those is hard to read screens in bright daylight. They are bigger, weigh more and cost more but the large touchscreen would be nice. The Garmin 60 series is also still being produced, it has the larger screen and is heavier but no touchscreen. John just got a new 60 CSx and it works well for him. The touchscreen seems to be the wave of the future for Garmin, I would not be surprised to see the Vista and 360 lines discontinued in the next few years. But yes, the Vista HCX is still a good one at the best price. The tradeoff is the smaller screen.

I still use the old Vista C, precursor to the HCX. It's the same size and functionality, just no removable memory slot. The cool thing about the Vista line is the compact size, I can slip it into the pocket of my pants and get it out whenever I need it. I've had it over five years, the screen is slightly cracked but it still does everything I need. I only have the old Garmin mapsource software so I have to load topo maps (anywhere in the U.S.) and waypoints manually. And I usually have 40m (not feet) contour lines which can be a pain.

Whatever unit you get, it's all about the mapping software. I think the Garmin 24k card for Colorado/Utah works well, or you can get all four SW states on the DVD. Above the Timber also has a nice 24k product for Colorado only. Get whatever is most convenient and covers most of the places you plan to hike. Maps certainly add a lot to the cost of GPS.

Then check out some of the tools John has here on this site. I can't use those yet with my old GPS. But you can download a file that loads every ranked peak in as a Point of Interest. Very cool! As you mentioned, NG Topo software doesn't really mesh with GPS. I still use TOPO, but mainly as an at home planning tool and for printing maps.

Good luck, I think you'll really enjoy having a GPS if you decide to do it.
Last edited by Steve Knapp on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Knapp

Postby BrianR » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:20 am

I bought a Garmin Legend HCx last June to replace an old basic eTrex model and I really like it a lot. It's basically the Vista HCx without the barometric altimeter and compass. But, I already have an altimeter watch with a digital compass, plus a "real" compass, so I didn't see the point in spending the extra $50.

I don't use any commercial maps. There are free downloadable Garmin-format maps available for most areas (check http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all for a start, which includes the link given by JFToujours above for Colorado; I use the other CO link, and a totally different set for AZ whose website I can't find at the moment). Some of these maps are designed to work directly with the Garmin software, but some can be used without, which is what I have done. You might give the free maps a try before spending a lot on the commercial maps, but they may not be as "plug and play".
BrianR

Postby DSunwall » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:24 am

Steve Knapp wrote: NG Topo software doesn't really mesh with GPS. I still use TOPO, but mainly as an at home planning tool and for printing maps.

that is not entirely true, you can up/download waypoints and routes to a Garmin with Topo! which is quite handy, I use it all the time,.... before the POI loader came around anyway. So... the LOJ GPX waypoint generator is of value used with Topo!
DSunwall

Postby MikeRodenak » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks for the help guys! I knew this would be a good place to ask...

Actually that Dakota 20 looks pretty interesting, has the altimeter and compass, accepts MicroSD cards and as a bonus - 850MB internal memory! Similar size to the Vista too, but about $50 more than the Vista HCx and it is "custom maps compatible", which the Vista is not. I may be leaning towards that one.

Does anyone have any experience with the Dakota at all? Sounds like a nice unit with some nice features but the Vista seems to be the site's favorite and I don't want to spend my money on a clunker if the old tried and true will get the job done better 8)
MikeRodenak

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:36 pm

I don't remember the exact model I have.. Garmin maybe HCx... I use the snot out of it! :wiz: I upload all day long. And thankfully, I have the background topo maps with contours, which does considerably help things.
Jeremy Hakes

Postby Steve Knapp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:12 pm

I don't know anyone with a Dakota, but maybe someone will chime in. I think it's only been out six months or so. I'd be tempted to go with that too if I were buying soon. It's basically a downsized Oregon model. Chris Orwat has a Oregon. I've messed around with it on some of our hikes, nice GPS but a bit large. The Dakota size might just be the sweet spot. See what reviews you can find online. Amazon probably has a few. Here's a good one:

http://www.gpsfix.net/gamin-dakota-20-f ... pressions/
Steve Knapp

Postby MikeRodenak » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:10 pm

Just ordered an eTrex Vista HCx... $215 on Amazon, such a deal :-D

Now I just need to get some maps, download John's POIs, and I will be ready to go :wiz:

Thanks for all your help guys, see you on those obscure points, now that I can find them!
MikeRodenak

Postby DSunwall » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:33 am

Steve Knapp wrote:I don't know anyone with a Dakota, but maybe someone will chime in. I think it's only been out six months or so. I'd be tempted to go with that too if I were buying soon. It's basically a downsized Oregon model. Chris Orwat has a Oregon. I've messed around with it on some of our hikes, nice GPS but a bit large. The Dakota size might just be the sweet spot. See what reviews you can find online. Amazon probably has a few. Here's a good one:

http://www.gpsfix.net/gamin-dakota-20-f ... pressions/

I looked at a Dakota 20 at REI last night, pretty sweet and small, perfect for the ultralite hikers. $100 more than the HCX though. I wonder how touch screens work in a wet snow storm? just when you need it most the touchscreen goes nuts, couldn't have that.

decided to test my touchscreen phone, pooled some water on the screen, works great right through the water.
DSunwall

Return to General