Google Maps for Peaks in a Day

Discuss general site topics

Google Maps for Peaks in a Day

Postby John Kirk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:05 pm

Ever curious what a group of peaks someone combined looks like visually on the map without having to do all the work back and forth between maps? There is a now link for a map of peaks done by a member in a day from the ascent detail page (available from the peak profiles page), and also from 5 peaks in a day and multiple 1k+ prominence peaks in a day:

Should be good to catch those impossible multiple peak days entered by accident on the same day as well.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Google Maps for Peaks in a Day

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:08 pm

Aw, c'mon - you don't think anyone could do Medicine Bow, Gannett, and the Grand Teton in one day? Shucks, John. And I was *really* looking forward to seeing how that lined up on one of these newfangled maps!

Kidding... looks like a great new feature. I'll try to do a bunch of peaks tomorrow so I can see what that looks like. Probably nothing in Wyoming, though :-)
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Postby John Kirk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:49 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:Aw, c'mon - you don't think anyone could do Medicine Bow, Gannett, and the Grand Teton in one day? Shucks, John. And I was *really* looking forward to seeing how that lined up on one of these newfangled maps!

Kidding... looks like a great new feature. I'll try to do a bunch of peaks tomorrow so I can see what that looks like. Probably nothing in Wyoming, though :-)

In winter no less... You could see it, but now that you brought it to my attention, well, :wiz: poof!!!
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:18 pm

An amazing feat indeed! I've been marveling at it all day :-)

Your tagline should be: It's *FUN* to be Administrator...
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Postby Al Sandorff » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:58 pm

I'm not getting it to work
Al Sandorff

Postby John Kirk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:15 pm

Al Sandorff wrote:I'm not getting it to work

Let me now if it still isn't working - Internet Explorer didn't like the javascript so I rescripted some of it and I now have it working on my versions of IE and Firefox.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Al Sandorff » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:34 pm

Cool, that did the trick
Al Sandorff

Postby Steve Knapp » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:14 am

Very nice enhancement John, I like it! Careful about putting up a link to your 15-peak day, records are made to be broken! :-D With a couple more hours of daylight Friday Derek and I might have made a run for it. But then I did promise you not to do 15 when I asked your advice on Park County.

Speaking of maps, what happened to the map of the entire state showing your peak count by county? It's not on the county summits page anymore. That was a nice feature.
Steve Knapp

Postby John Kirk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:25 am

Steve Knapp wrote:Speaking of maps, what happened to the map of the entire state showing your peak count by county? It's not on the county summits page anymore. That was a nice feature.

It is on the list of re-engineering projects. It was a manual file of county boundaries and county totals and was available for CO only - it needs to be automated, and available for all states.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:40 am

Steve Knapp wrote:Careful about putting up a link to your 15-peak day, records are made to be broken! :-D

I've been waiting... When you succeed, I won't go down so easily when I post the next new record (no you can't come along :-P ).
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Al Sandorff » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:15 pm

joeg 1/25/10, could somebody who knows Colorado well describe the effort required for this combo in winter? Seems a little strange to not get Blanca at the same time.
Al Sandorff

Postby John Kirk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:40 pm

Al Sandorff wrote:joeg 1/25/10, could somebody who knows Colorado well describe the effort required for this combo in winter? Seems a little strange to not get Blanca at the same time.

Simply not possible. That would take a very fit person 4 days. This seems to happen the most often when people first register (same with the Grand Teton/Gannett/Medicine Bow combo).
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Al Sandorff » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:12 pm

It looked a little odd when I used your new map tool, but without knowing how long the approaches are and the terrain I didn't want to say it wasn't possible.
Al Sandorff

Return to General