defining prominence

Discuss general site topics

defining prominence

Postby JoeGrim » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:51 pm

I am in the midst of creating a website for an upcoming book my wife and I are publishing on the trails and named peaks of the Comanche Peak Wilderness. Unfortunately, the book does not allow me space to describe the hikes to the 13 unnamed, yet ranked or soft ranked peaks of the wilderness. However, we are still hoping to create trip reports for each of these hikes on our book's website. As part of introducing these peaks, we thought it would be a good idea to first describe what ranked and soft ranked peaks are. I have found sites out there that describe this in a manner suited for those who really know their geography (such as most of you all here at LOJ), but I couldn't find any that describe this in a simple, yet thorough way that would be easily understood by your average Joe. So I have made my own webpage: http://www.joeandfrede.com/colorado/ranked_peak_info/ranked_peak_info.htm. Would anyone here be willing to look it over and let me know if I got any of the descriptions wrong or if any of it is misleading? Thanks!
JoeGrim

Re: defining prominence

Postby John Kirk » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:41 pm

Looks good - only change I'd make is "greater than or equal to 300" instead of "greater than 300". Prominence equal to 300 is considered ranked.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: defining prominence

Postby JoeGrim » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:13 am

Thanks, John, for catching that misleading information. I made the change.
JoeGrim

Return to General