What every GPS needs

Discuss general site topics

Re: What every GPS needs

Postby RyanSchilling » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:04 am

Also is there a way to hide the map icons for summits that appear everywhere?
Attachments
185.png
185.png (74.92 KiB) Viewed 14538 times
RyanSchilling

Postby wayfarer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:28 am

Not sure why your 60CSx won't work with Windows 7 - my 76CSx does, and that is the exact same innards in a different case. Regardless, can you post a screenshot of the contents of the folder with the pois and icons that you uploaded to the gps, or at least compare to mine? Just a guess, but I'm wondering if you have those peaks duplicated in a second file that doesn't have a custom icon. Of course, even if it did, you probably don't want duplicates. Here is what is in mine:
If any of those csv files had the same peak in them, but one of the files did not have an accompanying icon, it would presumably display the default dot. My icons are on here about 5 or 6 posts earlier on this thread.

As for datum, unless I am wrong, that should not be an issue unless you are using the coordinates in conjunction with a paper map. I think the gps knows what the datum of uploaded files is and puts them in their original position, whether that is right or wrong. On the other hand, if you were to manually enter coordinates that were NAD27 while your gps was set to WGS84, I think those would be wrong. So I don't know what may be causing your problem there.

As for hiding extraneous icons, you may possibly be able to change the zoom level at which the built in map points show up independently of the custom POIs, and have them appear only when zoomed in closer. Not sure about that. But is that what those other non-LOJ summits are?

Rick
wayfarer

Postby John Kirk » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:45 am

RyanSchilling wrote:They're showing up a little off-kilter. I'm guessing this is a map datum issue? Which datum should I be selecting on the unit?

Should be WGS84 - are the default POIS showing up properly (in other words, the custom POI may be a bit offset due to the size difference)?

RyanSchilling wrote:The other thing I can't seem to figure out is that the unit is showing BOTH the default grey dot and the custom BMP I loaded. Strangely it's only doing so for some of the points. I don't see the rhyme or reason behind it.

Like Rick suggests, Maybe there was more than one POI load that took place (one with, and one without the custom bmp)? Try removing all custom POIs first with the POI loader, then re-add with the custom BMP.

There is a way to remove visibility of the map-layer summits (these show up in a lot of products like Above the Timber) by changing the zoom level from advanced map setup on "points"
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Rick, it was a drivers issue. According to Garmin's support, the 60CSx is a "discontinued product", and they haven't updated the drivers since a final update in 2009. I think a complicating factor may be that I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 (I saw a number of people saying their 60CSx ran fine on 32-bit Windows 7). I downloaded the most recent drivers, the most recent firmware... all of it. I fought long and hard to get it working on my Windows 7 box -- it involved running in Test Mode to install the old drivers that Windows now considers "unsigned", and a couple other hoops. This worked for a few months, but a subsequent Windows Update wiped out my ability to do even that. I was relegated to pulling out an aging, coughing laptop to use my GPS, and I grew sick of it.

I must admit, I enjoyed the touchscreen interface on the Oregon this past weekend, even if we were a little ambitious as to what we could accomplish with a seven-week-old. :oops: It's a far superior experience compared to messing with the nav buttons on my old unit. The only issue I can think of is working with the Oregon in cold weather, but I wasn't terribly dextrous using the 60CSx with gloves on either. So the upgrade, while expensive, will be very enjoyable.

I figured out the problem with the dots; you guys were on the right track. I brought my microSD card over from my old GPS -- including an old POI file that I had on that device -- and POI Loader wasn't recognizing the folder on that card when I selected the "Remove all..." option. Manual deletion took care of it.

There is a way to remove visibility of the map-layer summits (these show up in a lot of products like Above the Timber) by changing the zoom level from advanced map setup on "points"

Worked like a champ!

Thanks for the help, you two!
RyanSchilling

Postby wayfarer » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:45 am

Cool! Glad you got it straightened out. My buddy Peter Barr has a Montana and it is awesome. Maybe one of these days, I'll manage to upgrade my 76 CSx to an Oregon or Montana myself, though on a somewhat limited basis (mostly because of battery life and lack of waterproofness) I can get a similar experience on my phone with an excellent app called Backcountry Navigator. Excellent maps for download and you can import files.

BTW, my Windows 7 machine is also 64 bit, so I guess I better not update any Garmin drivers since everything is working just fine. I'll consider your problems a heads-up warning.

Rick
wayfarer

Previous

Return to General