What every GPS needs

Discuss general site topics

Re: What every GPS needs

Postby John Kirk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:12 am

Steve Knapp wrote:You guys are killing me! My old Etrex doesn't even accept SD cards. I still load all waypoint manually.

Nice work John, I'd love to have this on my GPS. Someday....

Shoulda got that Oregon when it was on sale dude. Imagine my displeasure when I learned this about the CS model (no data card) I bought a few years ago vs. CSx with a price differential of only $20.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:23 pm

ximage from garmin

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... jsp?id=545

its a bmp need to convert unless you can enable bitmaps
Attachments
wildcat poi.jpg
wildcat poi.jpg (21.29 KiB) Viewed 33286 times
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:28 pm

DSunwall wrote:its a bmp need to convert unless you can enable bitmaps

I guess you already converted, but I have bmps enabled now. Pretty cool.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby MikeRodenak » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Downloaded my POI set from here the other day, great stuff! Thanks John! :rock:

It was quick and easy to download, and quick and easy to convert and get loaded on to my SD card. The only "painful" part was that it was not clear to me from Garmin's help pages that you have to have a special folder on your SD card under "garmin" called "POI" - The POI loader software does not automatically create this folder, you have to do so manually first, then direct it to save the file in that folder. It took some digging to find this tidbit on the web, so I thought I would share it here and save you guys 20 minutes of searching GPS user forums to find it :-D

So to sum up, if you are loading your POIs to an SD card create a folder called "POI" under the "garmin" folder and load them to there.
MikeRodenak

Postby RyanSchilling » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:11 am

I gave this a whirl today -- truly awesome, John. No more inputting waypoints for me!
RyanSchilling

Postby John Kirk » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:41 pm

Glad you like it. It has already saved me many hours of loading/planning, but best of all there is no 500 waypoint maximum, so I don't have to carefully pick and choose areas I want to load.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Forrest Thorniley » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:12 pm

Having recently updated my GPS, i must now do this ASAP! Thanks John it looks awesome.
Forrest Thorniley

Postby kirkmallory » Wed May 19, 2010 7:54 pm

I'm also looking to upgrade from an eTrex. Mainly I want to use these cool features and download all the summits of a state!

REI has the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx on sale from May 21st through May 31st from $199.99 (reguarly $350). That seems like a pretty good deal to me. John, looks like that's what you have in your pics earlier in this thread - are you (or anyone who has one) happy with it?
kirkmallory

Postby John Kirk » Wed May 19, 2010 9:21 pm

kirkmallory wrote:I'm also looking to upgrade from an eTrex. Mainly I want to use these cool features and download all the summits of a state!

REI has the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx on sale from May 21st through May 31st from $199.99 (reguarly $350). That seems like a pretty good deal to me. John, looks like that's what you have in your pics earlier in this thread - are you (or anyone who has one) happy with it?

I saw the $199.99 promo - it's a very good deal.
I am happy with mine. I wasn't so happy with the 60CS I had for a duration of a few years because it didn't have expandable memory, so I had to buy a completely new GPS. Sometimes the newer models go on sale like the Oregon, but I haven't tried them - quite a bit pricier than $199. Shape, larger lcd touchscreen and a crappy 3.2 megapixel camera are the only differences between 60CSx and the Oregon 550t other than paying $300 more, although some Oregon models have preloaded topo maps (not sure what the contour interval is). The Etrex Vista CHx accomplishes the same thing as the 60CSx since it has the SD memory slot and is smaller, but looks like it is $299.

Bottom line is get a Garmin with an expandable SD card slot, the rest is optional based on what kind of bells and whistles you prefer.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Thu May 20, 2010 7:32 am

I don't own one but I know quite a few people that have them, the 60csx, seems to be the most reliable Garmin GPS.
DSunwall

Postby Steve Knapp » Thu May 20, 2010 9:10 am

Have to admit I'm tempted by that 60Csx at that price. Like Kirk, I need to join the modern era and be able to use this POI thing John has going. Also, a 40 ft countour interval instead of 40m would be great. Of course that means buying new software too or experimenting with the free maps online.

My main concern with that unit is the larger size, I'm spoiled by the Etrex in my front pocket. How do most people carry that thing so it's readily accessible?
Steve Knapp

Postby MikeRodenak » Thu May 20, 2010 10:35 am

Steve Knapp wrote:Have to admit I'm tempted by that 60Csx at that price. Like Kirk, I need to join the modern era and be able to use this POI thing John has going. Also, a 40 ft countour interval instead of 40m would be great. Of course that means buying new software too or experimenting with the free maps online.

My main concern with that unit is the larger size, I'm spoiled by the Etrex in my front pocket. How do most people carry that thing so it's readily accessible?

I got my Etrex HCx from Amazon for $215, so if you have your eyes on upgrading your Etrex its not much of a price difference. I have the free maps on mine and they seem pretty good!

Now that ski season is over (minus some backcountry of course) we should try and get together to climb soon!
MikeRodenak

Postby kirkmallory » Thu May 20, 2010 7:34 pm

I looked at the 60Csx yesterday, and it was surprisingly heavy. Looking on Amazon, the eTrex Vista HCx is $218.22 there. Looks like the 60Csx is 7.5oz with batteries, vs. 5.5oz for the eTrex. One difference is that the eTrex doesn't come with the microSD card, where the 60Csx does, although doesn't look like it costs much ($7 or so at Wal Mart).
kirkmallory

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:13 pm

I'm not so GPS tricky. I'm doing the NM peaks... I didn't see the support/help document. I tried exporting the file, but when I look at it, I don't see all the peaks - mostly it looks like the 7ers... ? Unless there is hidden info on the xlsx file? So... from there, do I upload to TOPO! and then the GPS? Thanks, John.
Jeremy Hakes

Postby John Kirk » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:42 am

Jeremy Hakes wrote:I'm not so GPS tricky. I'm doing the NM peaks... I didn't see the support/help document. I tried exporting the file, but when I look at it, I don't see all the peaks - mostly it looks like the 7ers... ? Unless there is hidden info on the xlsx file? So... from there, do I upload to TOPO! and then the GPS? Thanks, John.

You need to download Garmin's POI program to use POI files for anything. Neither TOPO! or excel are in scope at all (though you can view CSV in excel). The documentation/help is literally this topic in the forum.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

PreviousNext

Return to General