Download your peak list

Discuss general site topics

Download your peak list

Postby John Kirk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:38 pm

I added a link to download your peaks climbed list in the control panel. It is sorted by date climbed descending, then elevation, then prominence. Good tool if you don't have all of your peaks' dates in, or if you want an offline backup of your list. Default format is excel, but it is just tab-delimited text, so any text editor works to view as well.
Attachments
1.jpg
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Download your peak list

Postby John Prater » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:37 am

John,

On a few occasions, I've summitted the same peak multiple times in a day. I recorded these in the past on LOJ as repeats with valid dates. It looks like the dates of repeats on the same date are now 0000-00-00 (I noticed this in the downloaded peak list). Moreover, I recorded two ascents of the same peak on 7/25/09, and one of these now appears to be gone (ie, not even there with the 0000-00-00 date).

Just a glitch or something that LOJ isn't going to handle?

John
John Prater

Postby DSunwall » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:30 am

John never thought about John climbing the same peak more than once in a day. :-D John, do you have some criteria for how far you have to go to repeat a peak? :-P I really don't care, just razzing.

I must be haveing a bad morning, I cannot find the control panel. I know I've seen the donate button before but I simply can't find it today.
DSunwall

Postby John Prater » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:20 am

Dwight, the control panel is after you log in. Took me a while to find it last night as well.

The only times I've counted repeats of the same peak on the same hike/day is when I've returned all the way to the trailhead and climbed the peak again. I've only done this on a few occasions, and I'm generally just getting some extra exercise when I've done this (or trying something silly, like on Longs). I don't generally count going back over a peak on the same hike as another ascent. Would probably be some gray area in there depending on how much I had to re-climb. Funny thing is that I usually avoid this dilemma by not going back to the "tippy top" of a peak when going back over it. The silly games we play sometimes.
John Prater

Postby DSunwall » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:18 am

I stay logged in all the time so I don't see it. Guess I'll have to log out then back in. something wrong about that, especially since there is no way to log out. :?
Last edited by DSunwall on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:20 am

DSunwall wrote:John never thought about John climbing the same peak more than once in a day

Actually I have thought about this (I have done a few peaks more than once the same day myself), and I don't think multiple ascents of the same peak should be logged on the same day:
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/glossary.html#Ascent

I periodically delete or set dates to 0000-00-00 if there are multiple ascents of peaks on the same day by the same member.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:24 am

DSunwall wrote:I stay logged in all the time so I don't see it. Guess I'll have to log out then back in. something wrong about that, especially since there is no way to log out. :?

You can't update peaks without using the page the link appears on (has nothing to do with sequence of login/logoff) - perhaps it is too obvious. The address you should see in your address bar is:
http://listsofjohn.com/Members/main.php

You can also log out from this page and many other places within the updates pages.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:05 am

OK, thanks John, I didn't realize it was on the update pages.... obviously. Didn't have to update so I didn't go there. Nice to have that list, I do see quite a few with 00000-00 dates, even Rainier?????
DSunwall

Postby DSunwall » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:20 am

I see John's position on repeats as being different, he is actually returning to the trailhead then going back up to the peak, something anybody else wouldn't think of doing. If you enable that option though it could be used incorrectly.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:03 pm

The option is there - I just go in to clean it up from time to time. I notice some members just click validate without changing dates, and then they end up with stuff like 10 ascents of the same peak in the same day.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby BrianR » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:31 pm

DSunwall wrote:I see John's position on repeats as being different, he is actually returning to the trailhead then going back up to the peak, something anybody else wouldn't think of doing. If you enable that option though it could be used incorrectly.

I occasionally do the same thing as John Prater (but not on something like Longs!) and I noticed the 0000-00-00 dates that popped up on the ones I've recorded. I have very few good local training hikes and frequent time constraints so it sometimes makes sense to do my main local peak twice from the same trailhead since hiking is my main training for hiking and I have a long-term goal for number of ascents of that peak, too, which I consider a valid form of peakbagging. I understand the LOJ position of not wanting to count jogging up and down the last 20 feet of a trail repeatedly, or maybe even for some sort of out-and-back ridge traverse where you summit a peak twice (neither of which I personally count). This site is pretty much based on the honor system and I would hope that people wouldn't abuse the option of counting a peak twice in a day unless they had "earned it", but it's not a big deal either way and I'm not necessarily lobbying for a change.
BrianR

Postby John Kirk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:52 pm

Here is an example of why I think this is a bad idea...
Find the easiest peak possible (Several come to mind with less than 200' of gain required) and go up and back down to the TH. Do this 40 times (pretty feasible since this would be 8k gain). Try to convince someone you legitimately climbed 40 peaks in a single day.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:57 pm

John Kirk wrote:Here is an example of why I think this is a bad idea...
Find the easiest peak possible (Several come to mind with less than 200' of gain required) and go up and back down to the TH. Do this 40 times (pretty feasible since this would be 8k gain). Try to convince someone you legitimately climbed 40 peaks in a single day.

why would anyone do that, to get the Grand Prize in the Peak Baggers award? not likely, as Brian said, "honor system".
DSunwall

Postby BigRob » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:24 pm

I think if you climb Longs twice in one day from any trailhead you should go into the BA column. :Mr. T: In the same spirit, I read a TR on 14W last year of a group doing Pikes Peak from the TH twice in under 24 hours. Which brings me to another question. Does the multiple peaks in a day count for the actual calender day or within a 24 hour period?
BigRob

Postby John Kirk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:28 pm

BigRob wrote: Does the multiple peaks in a day count for the actual calender day or within a 24 hour period?

Calendar day
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Next

Return to General