Download your peak list

Discuss general site topics

Re: Download your peak list

Postby John Kirk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:55 pm

I suppose what I could do is allow multiple ascents of the same peak on the same day, but not count them in statistical computation (such as peaks in a day, peaks per year, month, etc). The ascents would still count as total times the peak has been done by a member and in overall totals. Would this be a worthwhile compromise?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:25 am

:worms: a lot of worms to this one. It seems they should count for everything, but, there are those very easy peaks, too much trouble to define what should count. Probably a reasonable compromise.
DSunwall

Postby Steve Knapp » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:34 am

That's probably a good compromise John. I don't think I've ever climbed the same peak twice in a day, but can see how others may do so and want to see the stats on it. But it doesn't seem right if I were to lead the peaks per month list if I climbed Hogback A 40 times in one day. Not that it's a bad peak, in fact I've been considering repeating it. :-D

Some people don't care about the statistical computations, but I find it very interesting checking out who's done what in a given month/year, who leads various lists, etc.

OK, back to the peak download. I can't find the link to download, even after logging in. All I see is the "User Control Panel" with six tabs on it but nothing like your screenshot. Perhaps you can add it to the "Tools" section on the main page of the site? I like the ability to download as a backup to all the peaks I've done, the only place I record them anymore is here.
Steve Knapp

Postby mikeofferman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:00 pm

Can't we keep it the way it is now? Is anybody really abusing this to get on top of one of the stats (or abusing at all)?

I have done a peak from a trailhead with 400' elevation gain, gone on to farther out peaks and come back over the first peak and had to climb 700'. Sure seems like it should count in the number of peaks I climbed that day. It also seems that climbing a peak 40 times in one day is harder physically than doing it 40 days in a row (though it does take commitment to make it 40 days in a row).

As far as going down 20' and back up, again, is anyone really doing this?
mikeofferman

Postby DSunwall » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:53 pm

John, just set some arbitrary rules, like 1000' of gain for a repeat on the same day. that should take care of someone repeating the low peaks or returning on the ridge from another peak. Or just let it go until you see abuse.
DSunwall

Postby BrianR » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:18 pm

John Kirk wrote:I suppose what I could do is allow multiple ascents of the same peak on the same day, but not count them in statistical computation (such as peaks in a day, peaks per year, month, etc). The ascents would still count as total times the peak has been done by a member and in overall totals. Would this be a worthwhile compromise?

How do people feel about not counting any repeats at all in monthly and yearly totals? A complicated option would be to have separate rankings of most different peaks climbed and most total ascents, which would require more work from you which isn't so good. But, the first list would be a better match to the theme of this website, while still allowing for the fact that some of us get out on more days which often means repeating local peaks. I'm one of the leaders in repeat ascents and I'm certainly more impressed by more new peaks than repeating old ones. But I still think about both, and I intentionally do most of my "after work" or "way too busy with everything else" training hikes on P300s.
BrianR

Postby John Kirk » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:57 pm

mikeofferman wrote:Can't we keep it the way it is now? Is anybody really abusing this to get on top of one of the stats (or abusing at all)?

Yes - there was some abuse, which prompted me to start trimming the overgrowth in the database... Toliet
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:02 pm

Steve Knapp wrote:OK, back to the peak download. I can't find the link to download, even after logging in. All I see is the "User Control Panel" with six tabs on it but nothing like your screenshot.

NOT THE FORUM LOGIN/CONTROL PANEL
It is on the page you use to log in for updating your peaks

see the link posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&p=2774#p2774
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Steve Knapp » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:16 am

OK, got it. I feel stupid now. :oops:

Nice feature!
Steve Knapp

Postby John Kirk » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:25 am

If I do as suggested and alter the stats computation it saves me the trouble of monitoring. I'll change this at some point, and I'll probably add the option of including repeats or not for each of the pages for viewing stats (these: http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conten ... index.html)
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Prater » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:31 pm

John Kirk wrote:I suppose what I could do is allow multiple ascents of the same peak on the same day, but not count them in statistical computation (such as peaks in a day, peaks per year, month, etc). The ascents would still count as total times the peak has been done by a member and in overall totals. Would this be a worthwhile compromise?

This sounds reasonable to me, John. Thanks for considering the change. The important thing for me is that I can use LOJ exclusively as my peakbagging log. After I got all of my ascents imported into LOJ, I stopped tracking elsewhere. But if I have to track some ascents outside of LOJ, then that diminishes its utility for me (well, just a smidge - it's still a phenomenal resource).
John Prater

Postby John Kirk » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:41 pm

John Prater wrote:This sounds reasonable to me, John. Thanks for considering the change. The important thing for me is that I can use LOJ exclusively as my peakbagging log. After I got all of my ascents imported into LOJ, I stopped tracking elsewhere. But if I have to track some ascents outside of LOJ, then that diminishes its utility for me (well, just a smidge - it's still a phenomenal resource).

Thanks - that was my major concern thinking it over again (remaining a one-stop shop). If you haven't already, you can go ahead and update/put back anything that is missing I'll get to changing some of the compilation scripts later.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby TeresaGergen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:38 pm

Try to convince someone you legitimately climbed 40 peaks in a single day.

Wait a minute. No, such a person did not climb 40 peaks in a single day, he climbed a single peak 40 times in a day. That's completely legitimate as 40 ascents, if each is from the TH. People do laps on Sanitas all the time. When I was load training for Denali on Sanitas, someone lapped me 3 times while I was doing a single ascent with 50 lbs. His record was something like 40 times in one day. I think that is absolutely fantastic, and if he were an LOJ member, that it should show up that he accomplished something like that.
TeresaGergen

Postby John Kirk » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:11 pm

TeresaGergen wrote:No, such a person did not climb 40 peaks in a single day, he climbed a single peak 40 times in a day.

That's why I think it makes sense to alter the computation not to allow these to be included peaks per day stats and several other total peak computations.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby TeresaGergen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:36 pm

I understand that it's a big deal to a lot of people, but the competition fostered by the stats totals lists here is not something I can get into, personally. I am just saying, as a general principle, it would be a shame if, because of the competition aspect, the truth itself wasn't allowed to be recorded. Even if it's a bump with 20 ft of prominence, if someone climbed it 40 times in a day, well, they did it and they ought to be able to record that they did it. It's reasonably well known that I don't often repeat peaks without a good reason, so I'm not speaking from a position of wanting to up my own stats. I just think if a "peak" exists and it appears on an LOJ list and you climb it, you should be able to check it off, whether you climb it once, once a year, once a day, or over and over all day long. I would rather see all the competition-oriented stats tables dropped before putting controls on what you can record that you did, although I'm sure no one else would want that. I too think that most peak climbers are ethical about what they claim they've done.
TeresaGergen

PreviousNext

Return to General