Download your peak list

Discuss general site topics

Re: Download your peak list

Postby JoeGrim » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:21 pm

For my own personal reasons, I like to count a peak twice if I do it as an out and back-type hike, as long as I have done another peak in between. And for personal reasons, I don't feel like going up and down the same peak over and over on the same day. I see it as much more of an accomplishment if someone does 40 different peaks on the same day than if they were to do the same peak 40 times. Not to discount the effort (and sanity :shock: ) of someone who wanted to do the latter. It would be nice if the rankings were clarified to not count repeats on the same day, yet allowing us to still log multiple peaks for own purposes. Ultimately, I am satisfied with whatever John decides because it's his site, and am very grateful that he is so open to our suggestions. It's kind of fun to see these standards being discussed, knowing that we are still somewhat on the cutting edge of deciding peak bagging protocol. 8)
JoeGrim

Postby TWorth » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:41 pm

Can't really compare totals for multiple ascents of the same peak vs different peaks in a day, since the latter is usually more time consuming, depending on the peaks. It seems fair for people to log multiples of the same peak if that's what they did, but it would be a seperate category as far as the stats go.

The stat categories are OK. Seems like they can be appreciated without being competative about it. Apart from the occasional "peak blitz"(I'll blame JK for that :chair: ), I don't plan my trips based on any of the rankings or use them as motivators, but when the year wraps up it's kind of neat to see what myself and others ended up doing in the various areas. Can't read too much into it though, so much of those numbers depend on geography anyway. some places you can climb 7 or 8 peaks in a day without too much trouble, other areas it could take a week(or a month) just to climb one.
TWorth

Postby TeresaGergen » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:57 am

Upon reflection, I could have done a better job with my post. Let me try again.

I can think of 3 main things that LOJ provides.

1. A resource of data about peaks, and groupings of those peaks into all the lists one could imagine. I suspect all of us are extremely grateful for the amount of work that has gone into providing us with this resource.

2. A place where we can record what we've done. My point was the same as John Prater's -- if we make an ascent of a peak listed on LOJ, we really ought to be able to record it, or it leads to inaccuracy and incompleteness in our own records and diminishes the point of having this ability in the first place. It doesn't really matter how contrived it looks to someone else -- if someone's training for the Hardrock by doing laps on Sanitas, they still did it.

3. Totals for all kinds of stats based on what we've checked off. As others have alluded to in this thread, the problem might be one of vocabulary or definition. I know one person who keep two separate sets of records, one counting "peaks climbed" and one counting "ascents." If he climbs Redcloud and Sunshine as an out and back, coming back over the first peak at the end, he'll count two peaks, but three ascents. That's the kind of thing where everyone makes their own rules for themselves and then wants to use LOJ the way they're used to using their own record keeping system. It doesn't become a problem until two people are competing based on their LOJ stats and then realize they have different rules or definitions. Since it's John's site, it seems fair for him to set rules for what goes into stats totals charts, especially since he's always open to our opinions anyway. I was not actually advocating that these totals charts should go away. I just think it would be a shame if this aspect of the site took precedence over the #2 aspect listed above, such that we couldn't actually get all our ascents into the database in the first place.

As an aside, the bigger can of worms for some of the stats totals in my mind is the definition of a day. "Stats per outing" is more logical, but I can't imagine how you'd determine in a computer program what constitutes someone's "outing," so again I'm not actually suggesting a change here; there's nothing I can think of to be done about the situation, other than realize that the stats totals don't tell all. Some of my outings start as soon as it gets dark and finish before it gets light. If I've climbed multiple peaks on that outing, some of them go into LOJ with the date before midnight and some go in with the date after midnight. I had one continuous non-backpacking/non-bivying outing that crossed three dates.
TeresaGergen

Postby John Kirk » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:25 am

TeresaGergen wrote:
As an aside, the bigger can of worms for some of the stats totals in my mind is the definition of a day. "Stats per outing" is more logical, but I can't imagine how you'd determine in a computer program what constitutes someone's "outing," so again I'm not actually suggesting a change here; there's nothing I can think of to be done about the situation, other than realize that the stats totals don't tell all. Some of my outings start as soon as it gets dark and finish before it gets light.

Let me change the wording so that there is less ambiguity. Distinct Peaks per Calendar Day is what I'm after with that stat. I'm not planning on removing the ability of persons to enter whatever dates they want, I'm just going to alter how they are being tabulated (this post in this thread)
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:58 pm

Speaking of everyone always doing the right thing/honor system etc, here's another example of garbage that I wouldn't feel right about not correcting: Grand Teton (Wyoming) and Emory (Texas) same day, Shuksan and Rainier same day, Jeff Davis and Whitney same day, etc:
Attachments
Capture.JPG
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:11 am

John Kirk wrote:Speaking of everyone always doing the right thing/honor system etc, here's another example of garbage that I wouldn't feel right about not correcting: Grand Teton (Wyoming) and Emory (Texas) same day, Shuksan and Rainier same day, Jeff Davis and Whitney same day, etc:

John, do you think it would help if the date of entry wasn't the default? I know that makes it slightly easier to input if the peak was climbed recently because you don't need to change the year or month, but If it defaulted to 00/00/00 then you would know the date was not entered correctly. Maybe pop up a calender. :wicked:
DSunwall

Postby TeresaGergen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:31 pm

Kirk M caught a couple of my errors like this that I never would have noticed otherwise, when he was looking at the option where you can see what other peaks a person ascended in the same day, and he was looking up something I'd done that he was planning to do. I'd just typed in (fat-fingered) the wrong year when I was trying to go back and enter all my dates at once, and two wildly different peaks ended up showing up as being climbed the same day. I've corrected any mistakes I've found, but there could certainly be other typos in there...
TeresaGergen

Previous

Return to General