Search for gpx files

Discuss general site topics

Search for gpx files

Postby edevart » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:52 pm

Is it possible to see only those peaks where somebody has uploaded a gpx file? We can search by a number of criteria, but I can't figure out how to search to show gpx files. Is there a gpx file repository on the site somewhere?

Thanks!
edevart

Re: Search for gpx files

Postby John Kirk » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:13 pm

There is an icon in search results to indicate if a TR has a gpx or not from the search, but I will need to build a filter and checkbox into the search if you only want to see those with GPX files:
https://listsofjohn.com/trsearch?s=CO

I'll see if I can get to it next week.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:02 pm

This filter is integrated into the TR search now
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby TeresaGergen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:32 pm

Curious why you want this. Do you intend to download content contributed to LOJ and upload it to another website?
TeresaGergen

Postby RyanSchilling » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:46 am

I was having a hard time thinking of a legitimate purpose, too, Teresa
RyanSchilling

Postby TeresaGergen » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:20 am

When I want to climb a peak, I do look on other sites for GPX tracks if LOJ doesn't have one - peakbagger, Gaia. But it's for personal use. Paying members on the semi-private LOJ site probably contribute some tracks that they wouldn't just post anywhere. I would suspect there are some tracks here that members wouldn't want uploaded to Gaia, for example.

Would the OP please respond?
TeresaGergen

Postby John Kirk » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:51 am

I could see a use case where a member wants to find some peaks to bag in an area and wants to do minimal research as far as routes go. IMO, wading through paragraph after paragraph in some text-only TRs can be extremely tedious and time-consuming. I think the filter addresses this legitimate use case. As far as a repository, that won't be happening, although I suppose one could try to scrape by iterating gpx Ids (don't worry I have automated back-end IP address banning for large volume short-delay requests).
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby edevart » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:28 am

TeresaGergen wrote:When I want to climb a peak, I do look on other sites for GPX tracks if LOJ doesn't have one - peakbagger, Gaia. But it's for personal use. Paying members on the semi-private LOJ site probably contribute some tracks that they wouldn't just post anywhere. I would suspect there are some tracks here that members wouldn't want uploaded to Gaia, for example.

Would the OP please respond?

Thanks for the responses everybody. And thanks for adding that feature John. That's awesome. But you guys can forget the conspiracy theories. I just wanted to be able to see where there were gpx files uploaded and where there were not without having to click on every peak individually. It's pretty simple. Just added functionality to the site, that's all. And just for personal use. But that said, whether or not I can filter by gpx upload doesn't change the fact that somebody can get on here and take your gpx file and post it wherever they want, they'll just have to search peaks til they find gpx files, rather than filtering by gpx upload. It'll take longer, but the added functionality doesn't change the fact that once you post a gpx file on here, you have no control over if and how that thing is used. Again, I have no interest, time, or skills to do that, but somebody else could. If you don't want your gpx file used elsewhere, don't post it.
edevart

Return to General